Baking Question

Decorating By Soheavenly Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm by kimkait

Soheavenly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soheavenly Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 6

Which shortening do you recommend for buttercream? I have used Crisco, Walmart shortening (which has some prepared meat fats), and Walmart all-vegetable shortening. The Walmart all-veg shortening seems to be very thin and loose compared to the other two.

The Walmart shortening with prepared meat fats in it makes me wonder if I should even be using it to bake with? Which one should I use??? I have tried all because of the change in trans fat in Crisco, but is trans fat what I should be looking at or total fat grams?

5 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

I never paid that much attention- I always just used Crisco. Lately I have been making MMF with Crisco and I haven't noticed any problems or changes. I could be wrong though.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

When I made MMF, there was no crisco actually put into the fondant. It was just used to grease my hands. Unless I am missing something here. Because the buttercream would have the Crisco actually used to make the frosting where in MMF, it is just a repellant.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 6

Sorry, yes- most MMF recipes apparently don't have shortening in the ingredients; the one I use does. It is in the ingredients and on the hands and the counter.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6

Oooh, this is interesting. Would you be willing to share the recipe or provide a link? I only know of one recipe that I found on the internet. I am complete novice and eager to learn more.
Thanks in advance.

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

The Walmart all-veg shortening seems to be very thin and loose compared to the other two.

I have found this also. It is almost like it has melted. I do not use the wal-mart brand I use other store brands. I always use all-vegetable shortening. I would check out the different store brands in my area until I found the one I liked best. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%