Cake Decorating For African Women - Small Enterprise Ideas

Decorating By dclose Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm by kissylips

dclose Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! Wondering if wedding cakes are an option to pursue with women I'll be working with in Zambia. It can be hot. Cakes are usually fruitcake covered with marzipan and I thought American style cakes would go over well until I considered the heat.

Anyone have advice on whether it would be a problem to pursue cakes in say 100 degree weather? Will it all melt?

2 replies
JanH Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose

Cakes are usually fruitcake covered with marzipan and I thought American style cakes would go over well until I considered the heat.

Anyone have advice on whether it would be a problem to pursue cakes in say 100 degree weather? Will it all melt?

Well, if you're used to baking fruitcakes in 100 degree weather - American cakes will be easier because they're not as dense so have a much shorter baking time.

And American cakes can be covered in fondant if you're worried about the American buttercream frostings melting...

HTH

kissylips Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 3

just wanted to say I think this is a FABULOUS idea to empower women ! I have been to Africa on a mission trip and have a heart for the massive needs there. I hope this takes off in Zambia.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%