What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By dreamdelights Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm by TexasSugar

dreamdelights Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I attempted to make a diaper bag cake and failed. I baked in two square nine inch pans. I cut each cake in three and attempted to stack and carve but it fell apart. The filling was cream cheese and the cake was carrot. I got frustrated and threw it in the garbage.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 6

Carrot cake is notorious for being crumbly and moist so I can see how it fell apart...The weight of the fondant didn't help it either.Try using a heavier cake like a pound cake etc...I just made a purse cake with a chocolate pound cake and it was great..nice and sturdy.Also try doweling the layers once you stack them for more stability.HTH

dalis4joe Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 6

When you get a request for a carved cake.... in the future... you have to reccomend a heavier cake as stated above ^^^ a pound cake would have been perfect for this... you have to have a sturdy cake for carving...

Sorry about what you went through... I know all too well how one can take the whole thing and just DUMP it in the trash.... I have gone through that too lol

Good Luck next time sweetie...

dreamdelights Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 6

thanks I will not give up hope. Next time I will choose a pound cake. thanks for your support after this morning frustration I was going to give up baking

KitchenKat Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 6

I've successfully carved carrot cake into simple shapes (e.g. bag, box, slanted, half moon) but with a few caveats:

1. No nuts - they tend to break chunks of cake when you carve into one
2. Recipe uses butter instead of oil - more stable and sturdy cake
3. MOST IMPORTANT - freeze and carve frozen. If I'm cutting into a cake, I only let the cake thaw enough for the knife to go through.

Hope that helps

TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 6

Moist cakes or cakes with pieces of things in them don't alway do so well for carving. Nuts and coconut are in my I won't carve list. If you use cake mixes, I have found that DH butter recipe made too soft of a cake, but haven't had any problems with other mixes (even using oil), doctored mixes or the extender recipe. I've never made a pound cake, nore have I frozen, for a carved cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%