How Do I Handle This? Canned Frosting On Wedding Cake!

Decorating By bunnypatchbaker Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm by JaeRodriguez

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm
post #31 of 135

I understand if you don't want to do it but there is nothing wrong with what the bride wants. My husband had only 2 requests for our wedding and you bet your butt he got both of them. Sadly I don't think the guests will like the frosting and the bride will spend all that money on cake that won't be eaten which is heart breaking. I just thought of another compromise. Like the person who suggested the top tier, why not do every other tier and really funky up the cake. Guest will get a choice and see what your work and flavors really are like but the bride gets her wish. I would suggest 4 tiers even if it's too much cake and do the largest in your regular buttercream work and alternate from there. I would tell the bride the truth. That doing the whole cake this way risks your reputation. A caterer is not going to let you serve store bought food under their name but they might make your fav recipe. Personally we had a very untraditional wedding and worked specifically with vendors who would do something like thisicon_smile.gif One last comment, how big is the wedding? If it's small, will it really hurt your reputation if 70 people see this cake? Good luck

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #32 of 135

I agree that the added cost of the cans could make a difference in her desire to have the whole cake made of it. However, it is her day. We used to do some really bizarre requests. One was a screaming yellow cake with black writing on it...it was hideous...but they loved it. And we didn't lose business over it. I agree with another poster that suggested you doing a small trial cake to show her what issues you have with using the frosting. Maybe create one with your own buttercream that resembles the canned stuff so they can taste the difference. You might also keep in mind that most people at weddings will not notice if the icing is canned or not. What we consider sacrilege is no big deal to the populace at large. Heck, most non-caker people out there USE the canned stuff! If your cake is delicious and moist and you decorate it with some of the great ideas people have suggested (I like the thought of the huge chocolate curls), then your reputation will continue to be intact. Perhaps use your own buttercream as filling! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #33 of 135

Oy, a dilema indeed! However she's already told her she doesn't want fondant and she doesn't want extra cakes. Here are my thoughts:

1. Smoothing canned frosting wouldn't even be on my radar. Definitely create a swirled pattern, etc. and go with that as your design. You might be 5 shades of angry fighting with sticky frosting that won't crust!! Altering it will change the flavor and that might be as important to her as the colored chips in it. As a side note: if it's just the colored chip look/texture he likes and not necessarily that particular vanilla flavor, would both of you be open to you trying to recreate that look with your own recipe?

2. I totally agree with carmijok that a large majority of those wedding guests are not going to be thinking "this is canned icing and not homemade buttercream...how terrible!" instead they will most likely recognize it and think "the bride and groom must love this icing enough to choose it for their wedding cake." I think guests are savvy enough to know that the bride designed her cake.

3. I would ask the bride what her vision of the cake looks like. Is it just a huge birthday cake idea? Smooth and elegant? Flowers, borders or just plain, but tiered? After you get more of an idea of what she wants, you can steer her in a "decorator" view direction. Smooth outside? Nope, sorry, canned frosting won't do that..but hey, you could have that as a delicious surprise filling! You want it on the outside, all layers? OK, that's a lot of extra money in cans and it will have a textured look, but I can do it for you.

Work with her to make her dreams come true, IMO! She'll certainly take all of the credit for choosing that icing- so to me, it just makes you look good for being able to honor her wish and help her surprise the love of her life. icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #34 of 135

I wouldn't for reasons already stated by others. The added cost may deter her, if not, are you sure she understands what this will look like? Who knows, maybe they'll love it .

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #35 of 135

I don't think there is anything wrong with fulfilling a bride's "dream". I would certainly let her know that this frosting has its issues.

One thing you can do as far as decorating is slap on that frosting and stick a cake knife on the side and pull straight out. You get a funky peaked design. repeat it all over the cake and wrap a ribbon around the base. Or, do as Chasey said and swirl it.

I had a friend who wanted an reptile cake for her son. She also wanted canned icing. I went ahead and did it for her. It was sticky and hard to work with but the end result was great. The kids lived it and I would do it again in an instant. (Although, it was not meant to be elegant, and was not meant for a huge party as a wedding)

If you are going to do any piping make sure you have cornstarch nearby to do any touch-ups.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #36 of 135

I agree with all the points Chasey made. I would do it and enjoy the fact I am doing something fun and non-traditional!
If it is the look he wants then mix colored jimmies into YOUR frosting. If it is the taste and look then charge more and buy 25 cans of the stuff and have fun!

Tracy

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #37 of 135

I have one more idea that might work for both of you. SInce it's going to be an elegant B&W wedding. Offer to do an elegant cake with your regular bc or fondant. Make a small (4 or 6 inch) cake the way she asked. Then when it comes time to cut the cake, have the DJ or Banquet manager, (whoever) announce that the bride has a surprise for her groom & have someone bring out the little cake. This way, both cakes can be cut. She gets the "real" cake & he gets his cake. SHould make for a cute pic and a cute video too.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #38 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

I have one more idea that might work for both of you. SInce it's going to be an elegant B&W wedding. Offer to do an elegant cake with your regular bc or fondant. Make a small (4 or 6 inch) cake the way she asked. Then when it comes time to cut the cake, have the DJ or Banquet manager, (whoever) announce that the bride has a surprise for her groom & have someone bring out the little cake. This way, both cakes can be cut. She gets the "real" cake & he gets his cake. SHould make for a cute pic and a cute video too.

Iggy, this is the best idea yet! Sort of a "grooms cake" idea! I hope she goes with this one.

As for canned vs homemade, most people have grown up on canned and don't know the difference. In fact, it may be that canned taste that the groom loves. I have done a lot of work with both types of frosting and I have been able to get a very smooth finish with both...easier with the homemade but still it can be worked with...just more work. As for the extra cost...add it into the pricing, do NOT get stuck with the extra fees for buying enough for an entire cake!

As a wedding coordinator, the bride wants what the bride wants and if she doesn't get it then she'll go elsewhere and talk you down when she does it. If you can give her what she wants (and yes, I'm part of the "no staircase" crowd so I DO say no from time to time) then she'll talk you up instead. She'll be telling everyone who will listen how you took her special request and went the extra lengths to make her cake her dream cake.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Chasey Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #39 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnypatchbaker

The bride does not want to have a groom's cake or any other small kind of cake for this icing. It seems that this is the only thing that the groom requested for the wedding and she really wants him to have it. She is not interested in covering it with buttercream and was very insistent that I not use any fondant on her cake. I realize that this is going to make for a very UNIQUE looking wedding cake which is why I was turning to all of you for some of your great ideas.

I think some people missed that post from you! Wish the bride would reconsider the groom's cake idea though. thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #40 of 135

I would do it.

If you ever feel that something is beneath you, remember, all the greats have (mod edited) themselves out for their craft.

FYI - Pilsbury recommends adding 1 1/2 cups PS and beating for 3 minutes for "decorator frosting". I'd get a can and give it a whirl. Sounds like fun.

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #41 of 135

thanks for all the great suggestions. Especially to those of you who really read what I wrote. She is NOT interested in a groom's cake, anything with fondant and she does not have a problem with my buttercream. She has eaten it and likes it but this is something special she wants to do for her groom.

I appreciate the photos - one of them looks like it might have used this very frosting! No one wants to be trashed all over town for bad work but at the end of the day it is THEIR day. I am just trying my best to figure out how to make their cake as special as any other wedding cake while helping the bride to surprise her groom.

It would never be my first choice to ice any cake with canned frosting but I am not the one paying for it. Price is not an issue with the bride. Keep the great ideas coming! icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #42 of 135

I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone - wait - any professional - would consider doing this. Yes, a bride can have her requests fulfilled, but that doesn't mean I am the person to give it to her. A request like this is not up to my wedding/special event standards.

And yes, some greats may have (mod edited) themselves out for their craft, but I'm not one of them.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #43 of 135

Let us all know how it comes out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #44 of 135

Standng by ccr03.

No way, no how.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #45 of 135

I used canned chocolate icing on these cupcakes (requested) and it handled very well. I actually bought a LOT more cans than I needed and used some leftovers to ice a small cake just for my family to eat and it smoothed really well, actually better than my regular icing...it did take a little longer to crust but it definitely crusted after about half an hour and I was able to smooth with a paint roller. so it's definitely possible to fill this request..........maybe suggest the chocolate chips be added as a "sprinkle" after the cake is iced?
LL

marisworthit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisworthit Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #46 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone - wait - any professional - would consider doing this. Yes, a bride can have her requests fulfilled, but that doesn't mean I am the person to give it to her. A request like this is not up to my wedding/special event standards.

And yes, some greats may have (mod edited) themselves out for their craft, but I'm not one of them.

Yes. But you know, the other 9,999,999 non pros on here have no idea what it means to keep professional standards. Maybe they'll understand someday. icon_rolleyes.gif

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #47 of 135

Wow, marisworthit, rude. Just because I am not a "professional" does not mean I do not have standards. I am legal and do a fine job for myself in my little area. People like different things. You have the right to say no to a customer. I see nothing wrong with making a bride happy on HER day even if it is different than what I would choose for myself. Especially if it includes making her husband happy on HIS wedding day.
Tracy

marisworthit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisworthit Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #48 of 135

Yup.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #49 of 135

I can almost guarantee I would've quite literally laughed in the bride's face It may be their wedding, but it's my reputation and name attached to that cake and there is not a snowball's chance in HELL I would do that for ANY customer.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #50 of 135

I bake as a hobby for family & friends & I wouldn't do it, period! People talk about how good my buttercream is & to know that I made a cake with that canned vanilla frosting---YUCK!

ADDING ANYTHING to it WOULD NOT be what the bride wants, because it wouldn't be "that frosting" that the groom requested. THAT SAID.......You're in trouble now anyway.....If you do the cake as she wants it, you take a chance with the guest talking & If you don't do it, you take the chance of the bride talking about you to others, saying how difficult you are, etc etc.....

I'd still have to talk to her, tell her that you REALLY REALLY want to do her cake & that you really want it to be special, but that you ALSO have to think of your rep, then suggest some of the ideas already posted. (Sorry I didn't read them all.)

If it was me & she was willing to compromise, I'd suggest all tiers be funky & cool (not sure how many tiers it will be).....do 1 OR the back half of 1 for him with his frosting (may have to add white color), other half your BC & colored choc chips (to match the front). Another tier funky & none of them smoothed.

I sure hope this makes sense to you. ALSO whoever cuts the cake, just doesn't serve that back half for the guest......he takes it with him on the honeymoon???????? GOOD LUCK!!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #51 of 135

I don't think the OP ever asked if she should do it or if anyone else would do it. I think she was just asking for ideas/thoughts/suggestions about a cake that she has already agreed to.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #52 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0730

I don't think the OP ever asked if she should do it or if anyone else would do it. I think she was just asking for ideas/thoughts/suggestions about a cake that she has already agreed to.

It looks to me like you are correct.....I made my suggestion.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:38pm
post #53 of 135

I am by no means a professional baker/designer, but if I was, I would be very concerned about my reputation. Would she ask Dolce & Gabbana to make fake leather shoes and a polyester tux? That being said, why not go with an honest approach to the bride? Tell her that you would love to make her cake, and you do agree that it is her day...BUT...you are very concerned about your reputation. Be honest...Tell her that you've worked very hard to build up a good reputation and are scared that making a cake with canned frosting would destroy all those years of hard work. Then ask her if she can compromise with you. Maybe just doing the top tier, maybe doing a grooms cake (at a huge discount) that can be announced as a surprise cake (like the other poster suggested).

Let her make the decision if she wants to retain you for her cake. I don't think she would ever bad mouth you if you are up front and honest with her about your concerns.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #54 of 135

buncha cake snobs icon_biggrin.gif

To op, don't stress too much. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Chasey Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #55 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

buncha cake snobs icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't know why so many people think your reputation will be talked about and ruined!! Seriously, the bride is going to be gushing about how she surprised her husband with this canned icing request.

One of my questions to her would be "what if a lot of your guests don't particularly care for this flavor of icing? I would hate to see your return on your investment diminshed due to cake being left on the plate instead of enjoyed!" Maybe she assumes everyone loves that taste since her finace does and she doesn't mind it either?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #56 of 135

Maybe you could get some of the candy coated chips and mix them with your frosting for her to taste. You could make 2 cupcakes and use that on it to let her take to him to get his reaction. She doesn't have to tell him why he's tasting it.

If you google 'candy coated chips', you'll find ton's of places. You can also get small jars of them from Wilton at Walmart/Joanns/Michaels/Hobby Lobby, etc.

Also, if she wants to go this way, then you could frost the cake without the chips, then stick the chips on as a decoration. You could make borders and patterns even.

Here are a few places that came up from a google search.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/candy-coated-chips-16-oz?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Ingredients&utm_content=chips&utm_term=candy+coated+chips&gcl

http://www.cakeart.com/store/e-StoreOperations_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21307

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #57 of 135

Run, don't walk away from this bride.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #58 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnypatchbaker

I am doing a wedding cake soon for a bride that has very specific ideas of what she wants. She is requesting a tiered wedding cake but instead of using my own buttercream icing she wants it iced with CANNED frosting! icon_eek.gif

She likes my frosting but her husband-to-be loves the canned frosting with the little candy coated chocolate chips in it. She wants to do this as a surprise for him and use that icing only on the entire wedding cake.

I thinks it will be impossible to smooth and how do you even begin to decorate it? The wedding is going to be very classy - all done in black silk and ivory.

But she wants this for her groom and wants the reception to be more fun after such a formal ceremony. Any great ideas out there for me? icon_cry.gif

Most of the posts here stated that they would or wouldn't use the canned icing. I DID read your posts and saw that she didn't want a groom's cake or any small cake. I offered you an alternative for a "very classy - all done in black silk and ivory". If you want to offer my idea to her fine, if you don't fine. You answered your own questions and the bakers that graciously posted their pics showed you how to decorate it. It will be unable to smooth and as to decorating it. Get some more of the candies as someone here mentioned and sprinkle all over, just on the top or slap them on the sides. Place their monogam on top in whatever medioum you are comfortable with, or purchase it Simple. No stressing. Now, if you're worried about the guests knowing it's canned frosting, then don't do it but I don't think that was your issue. I was just making a suggestion as per your request. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your request and gave you an alternative based on other poster's concerns.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #59 of 135

I just wanted to add that when I put the canned icing on those cupcakes I did make them sign a waiver stating that I was using "store bought, canned iced per their request" and that I wasn't held responsible for the integrity or taste of the product. They signed it happily and they LOVED their cupcakes.........they're also 1 of my biggest ordering customers and that was their first order and they had been turned down by 4 other bakers for their request of canned icing!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #60 of 135

Do you think the bride would go for a REALLY funky cake with a topper that is a carved replica of the can of frosting (done in your own way... with fondant or whatever you need to make it look good)?

That way, it is obvious to everyone that the canned frosting is an inside joke between the bride and the groom... The rest of the cake can be HIS frosting... But should not affect your reputation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%