Please Help!

Decorating By oxyjenandtonic Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm by oxyjenandtonic

oxyjenandtonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oxyjenandtonic Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

A couple of months ago I made a cake with a gum paste rose topper. I used the Wilton mix and made it myself. I never had a problem with the gum paste. I am now making a jungle animal cake. Just to see if it saved time, I purchased the pre-made Wilton gum paste. I can get it worked out and soft but when attempting to shape it I get lines that I cannot work out and it seems to dry very quickly, even keeping it in airtight containers with plenty of Crisco on hand. Is there something I am missing? It just seems that the kind I made myself was a much smoother texture. Are there any tips I can try or should I just give it up and go buy the mix? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

When you are kneading it to soften it, are you mixing some shortning in to it also? I have found that you need to add the shortning to it to make it so it is truely supple.

oxyjenandtonic Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 5

Yes. I even took one little piece and worked it a little at a time, working Crisco in each time. It eventually just fell apart and never quite got to the softness I needed.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5

Have you tried mixing it with a little bit of fondant? Maybe that would help. Even perhaps up to a 70% gumpaste/30% fondant ratio, depending on how hard you need it to set up. The more fondant you add the slower it will harden. I'm not an expert but it might work. I have some decorations hardening now which are a mix of the two, hoping it works for me! HTH!

oxyjenandtonic Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

I haven't used a gum paste/fondant mix myself yet but I know that many people do. It is certainly worth a try. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%