Mmf Help

Baking By anika2238 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm by anika2238

anika2238 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anika2238 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 12

I've only been using fondant for about a month now and I'm not sure if maybe I added to much powdered sugar or something but the last time I made some mmf some of it started to dry (not in a normal way) it was cracking and looking dried out. Should I add more water to the mixture? Less sugar? Or is this normal with mmf? (The layer over the cake was fine but the bits I used food coloring in for decoration had the problem)

11 replies
KS421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KS421 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 12

I think food coloring can dry out mmf. Try kneading it with shortening. That works for me.

anika2238 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS421

I think food coloring can dry out mmf. Try kneading it with shortening. That works for me.

I will definitely try that thanks! Oh, I have another question. (If you don't mind) Do you know if there is any way to make a simple sugarpaste kinda like mmf is super simple apart from my little problem. icon_smile.gif

KS421 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 12

Sorry, I don't know anything about sugar paste. I hope someone can answer that question.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 12

I made MMF in February and had no problem with drying out. I tinted it a light green color too. It was my first time making it so I can't tell you what may have caused the problem. And I haven't made it a second time yet.

As far as making fondant into gumpase. Ron Ben-Isreal (I think that's the name) has some videos on You Tube. He stated in one of them how you can take fondant and turn it into gumpaste. I am sorry that I can't remember the ingredient or which video. I have been watching so many in the last few days as I totally immerse myself into learning cake decorating. But I know it can be done. If I do happen to see it again, I'll be sure to post it here.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #6 of 12

you can just add tylose or CMC to fondant and make it into gumpaste...

hth

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

You probably added too much powdered sugar. Try adding some Crisco. Put some on your hands and knead it into the fondant. That should help. I find if I leave the fondant quite soft I have fewer problems with drying and cracking. Hope that helps you.

anika2238 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 12

Thanks. I don't think I can find Tylose where I live so I'll just stick with mmf. icon_smile.gif

KS421 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #9 of 12

I can't find tylose either. I mix 50/50 MMF and gumpaste from Wilton.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 12

I have to order Tylose online. Ifyou are just adding it to fondant for your figures or flowers to make sugarpaste then it doesnt take much and a jar will last you quite a while. It is usually about $10 a jar with shipping I think. ( It has been a while since I ordered any cause I got a good deal on a large quantity a while back)

You can also use it to make gumpaste from scratch which is a little better if you are going to be making a bunch of flowers . I love using the Nicholas Lodge Recipe for gumpaste .

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #11 of 12

i don,t make mmf usually. i have made it. turned out good. can you add a little glycerine to this batch. little crisco on your hands and knead and knead it really well. just thinking how to help you. i would at least try it. wilton has gumtex. to add to fondant to make g/p. for flowers , modeling,etc. if you can,t get your mmf soft and pliable. then i would turn it into g/p.

anika2238 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 12

I live in Asia and we don't have any stores that will sell things like that so I'll just have to order online. Again thanks a bunch for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%