Car Inside A Tractor Trailer?

Decorating By MacFancier Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 3:26pm by MacFancier

MacFancier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacFancier Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

My son has specifically requested a Mack truck (from the "Cars" movie) with a Lightning McQueen car inside the trailer. I am an advanced novice decorator willing to try things, and in my mind I was trying to conceive a chocolate-sided box of sorts for the trailer and a Hot Wheels McQueen inside, with a carved cake for Mack's "head." The bulk of the cake for eating could be a base decorated as a road.

So my biggest problem is the chocolate box idea. Will this work? Is there something better? How would you put graphics on the sides of the trailer?

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 8

yes chocolate would work

but for lightness sake and easier decorating I'd use gumpaste.

then can easily adhere an edible image to it or hand paint it to get the graphcis.

could even use thin sheets of gingerbread or large cookie (square variation of pan cookie -- need recipe that doesn't spread or trim to size fresh from oven.) then could paint with cookie icing.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 8

Ditto on Doug's reply... Pastillage would do the same trick :0)

A basic Jaconde recipe baked on parchment paper would work for the cookie idea... It's a thin & light sponge cake...gingerbread might be too heavy (but worth a try)..

Send us pics when your done can't wait to see this one :0)

MacFancier Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom42

Send us pics when your done can't wait to see this one :0)

You and me both!!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking a cookie wouldn't be stable enough for some reason. I'll browse around here for gum paste or pastillage information as I've never used them.

cakemom42 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 8

Pastillage is pretty easy but requires time.. I make mine one day & let it sit for 24 hrs... then use it as I would gumpaste however being extremely careful to keep it covered.. as it dries out instantly.. I then cut each piece by dipping my exacto knife into "Denatured Alcohol" (can find at Lowes/Home Depot)... do not drag your knife if you feel resistance simply stop cutting & re-dip your knife in the denatured alcohol and continue to cut where you left off.
Once cut, let the pieces dry (time depends on the thickness of your product..placing it on foam - helps suck out the moisture.. thinner = quicker the drying time...) If you feel your edges are too rough simply take fine grade sanding paper & sand the edges smooth, but being careful not to press too hard & break the piece (I generally cut a couple of pieces for each section for just in case purposes)..
I like to take 3 days to make things with pastillage & love it!! & use it for many things from architectural structures to flowers. Oh & I use royal icing when decorating or gluing it together.
Here's a quick recipe:
- 25 grams White vinegar (2 1/2 T)
- 2 sheets Gelatin
- 25 grams Cornstarch (2 1/2 T)
- 250 grams Powdered Sugar (1 box)
Sift the PS & Cornstarch, place the gelatin sheets in cold/ice water to bloom (takes about 2 mins) when soft pull out of water & squeeze excess water out. In small bowl place the gelatin sheets in the vinegar and stir over a pot of boiling water (Bain Marie) till all the gelatin is dissolved. Then pour into the powered sugar mix. I use a pastry dough scraper & mix... it will be sticky... Once it is generally combined I then pour on to the counter & using the palm of my hand smooth all the rough dough out till it becomes the same consistancy of gumpaste. I then wrap it in plastic wrap (this must be done immediately as it will start to dry right away)..Then take a wet towel and cover the wrapped product.. place it in a baggie, seal it up and let set for up to 2 days (after that it will mold!!) When working with it use cornstarch to roll it out.. Play with it I think you'll have a lot of fun :0)
Let me know how it all turns out!!
PS: Albert Uster sells the Gelatin sheets in bulk. I buy it & parcel it out to friends.. great for making mousse too!

MacFancier Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 8

It's getting closer to d-day and I was browsing more about gum paste vs. pastillage. It sounds like the pastillage turns into a more stable piece suitable for a structure, of sorts, so I'm going to go with that idea. Cakemom, I was rereading your recipe/instructions. Am I correct in understanding that you wait until the pastillage is completely dry before cutting? And how thick would you recommend rolling it out?

cakemom42 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:15am
post #7 of 8

Hello :0)
No :0) you cut it after it has rested for 24 hours (after you have made it).
Then you let it dry.
Then you can sand it with fine grade sand paper.

It's just like the gumpaste process in how you make it, let it rest 24hrs, then work with it, & then let it dry.
Be sure to play with it before you go to make it for your project. I love it but it does take some time to get use to it & understand it's nature :0)

Let us know how it comes out or if you have any other questions :0)

MacFancier Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

*hangs head in shame*

Here is a picture of how I ended up doing this cake. The gum paste did not make enough and it was too late to start a new batch, so I used what I already for the road signs and just stuck the toy Mack on top. Oh well, it was cute and colorful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%