post #1 of 30

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

29 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 30

This is one of my BIG weekends. 5 wedding cakes, 2 groom's cakes. Party cake earlier in the week.

1 wedding and 1 groom's cake delivered.
2 more wedding cakes completely done now.
3rd wedding cake with 30 minutes of done.

Then the groom's cake, airbrushing flowers and playing in fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 30

Wow that's a BIG weekend!!!!

I had four cake orders this weekend plus a cake show/competition on Monday. I just finished my fourth cake tonight so I have Saturday and Sunday to bake my tasting mini cupcakes and get my competition cake done. Its probably not really enough time but at least my orders are ready. Three have been picked up...last order will be picked up Sunday.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 30

I can finally participate in the friday night cake club icon_biggrin.gif. I'm just a hobby baker but I am working on gumpaste shopping bags for my niece's birthday cake next weekend, Gumpaste piano for a cake topper for the competition I'm in on the 24th, and Mardi Gras masks for the senior prom next weekend. The prom cake is actually going to be made at work but I'm just making the accent pieces at home because I don't have enough time at work. I am using my cricut for all of these pieces. I know this is nothing compared to you pros out there but hey, I'm just happy to be part of tonights club.

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 30

Welcome. And if you're using your Cricut, you're ahead of me. I'm still having trouble with the thing. And no real time to play with it.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #6 of 30

Hi. My first time being able to be apart of the club. I have just two birthday cakes. One almost done, the other I have to ice and decorate.

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 30

Welcome!

Guys, as long as you're awake and on CC on Friday, join the FNCC and talk to us. We need the company!!

OK, cake number 4 finished. Now to dip some flowers. Not getting the airbrush out, I don't think.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 30

leah_s: dip flowers? im curious whats that?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:34am
post #9 of 30

Just delivered 1 birthday cake, just finished 5 birthday cakes.... 4 more to go (for Sunday)
Busy weekend!

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #10 of 30

vodka + color. dip gumpaste flower, shake off excess, let dry Finish off with some dusts. Sometimes getting out the compressor and airbrush is just too much. Unfortunately I didn't get the color exactly right, so I'm probably gonna have to get the AB out anyway and overlay some color.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #11 of 30

I am beyond awed how you ladies crank out cakes the way you do! 4 wedding cakes + in one weekend? I would be back in therapy! icon_wink.gif

I should be baking a dessert for a gathering tomorrow but I'm exhausted. My husband started a temporary job after loosing his job last July and since he has to be there at 6 am, I've been getting up with him at 4:45 am to make him breakfast (usually oatmeal or omelettes). And, besides being exhausted, I'm in physical therapy for my rotator cuff and my plantar fasciitis, so after my 4th day of P.T., I'm done in!

I sure enjoy seeing your photos; I'm a wanna-be-cake decorator! I've been a hobby baker for 20+ years and I still haven't gotten to where I want to be! I tell people I can color the page in the coloring book but I can't draw it to color it! Oh well, I love coloring!

Best of luck to all of you tonight! thumbs_up.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #12 of 30

i was so excited, telling my husband at dinner tonight, "it's so nice to be done with my cakes and just have the whole weekend to do family stuff!" then, on our way home, i got a call from my most frequent customer for a last minute cake for tomorrow. i never turn her down, so now i'm up doing the cake. i hadn't cleaned up from today, so it wasn't that big of a deal icon_smile.gif plus, i like to keep my "regulars" VERY happy icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #13 of 30

Yeah I get to participate I am a hobby baker but would love to turn it into my profession eventually. I have been making a lot of trial and error cakes so that when it is time for the real deal I will have it down for sure. I have a baby shower cake coming up as well as my neice's 4th birthday toy story cake and this one will be my first stacked cake. I also have my other neice's 16th birthday 3 teir cake to do as well.

I am so excited and am praying that they all come out great and that everyone will be happy with them..

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #14 of 30

Good Evening ladies !!!

Im stuck without an oven so no cake for me .

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Welcome!

Guys, as long as you're awake and on CC on Friday, join the FNCC and talk to us. We need the company!!

I'm a wannabe decorator too, never have the time to decorate, but I do love checking into the FNCC. What I can never figure out, especially for you, Leah, is when you all have the time to actually check the thread! Must be those minutes when you just have to sit down, at least for a second, eh?

Great tip on dipping the flowers; I'll have to add that to my cheat sheet. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:52am
post #16 of 30

AuntBee, I have a rotator cuff injury also. Unfortunately my health insurance from the Cheap and Crappy Company doesn't cover PT, so I'm trying some exercises I got from Web MD. When I remember.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:54am
post #17 of 30

Working on some gum paste flowers for an upcoming wedding cake icon_biggrin.gif Tomorrow, I am going to a cake demo by Michelle Bommarito! XD So excited! I love her!

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #18 of 30

HEY!! I as just on the SatinIce website and they have a bunch of new colors - AND a new white SI that's buttercream flavored!!!!! Gotta get some.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #19 of 30

Hey Leah,
I saw that too! I'm curious about it so when I order Sunday I'm going to order a small tub of them. I'll post on how it goes... I love Satin ice, but their black and red fondant has a funny taste to me.... hoping these new colors and flavor will be good.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:13am
post #20 of 30
Quote:

vodka + color. dip gumpaste flower, shake off excess, let dry Finish off with some dusts. Sometimes getting out the compressor and airbrush is just too much. Unfortunately I didn't get the color exactly right, so I'm probably gonna have to get the AB out anyway and overlay some color.

I know you just explained it, but could you do it again please? Sometimes I need 3 yr old explanations.

This could be a new skill for me.

I wish I could actually contribute to Friday nite, but I'm kind of a lurker trying to get new ideas.

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #21 of 30

just mix some vodka and color in a cup of some sort and dip the gumpaste flower. shake off the excess color. let is dry and then using a brush, brush on some petal/pearl or luster dust.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:56am
post #22 of 30

Delivered the weirdest wedding shower cake. "Dark pink, lime green monogram in the center with dots around that and add some purple and yellow." Kid you not those were the colors asked for in the email. Met the customer halfway-her request and she never even looked at it! Plus gave me a great tip! Supper out tomorrow night...ya hoo!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #23 of 30

I had a pretty busy weekend, pea-pod theme baby shower cake, 2 tiered Mario Bros cake & 24 owl cupcakes from the "hello cupcake" book. Finished them up this afternoon/night & I'm exhausted! At least it's fun to do. One thing I have noticed is that often I add extra decoration that I feel is not covered in the price but I want the cake to look nice so end up adding it. Not sure if this is going to get me into trouble... icon_rolleyes.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:07am
post #24 of 30
Quote:

just mix some vodka and color in a cup of some sort and dip the gumpaste flower. shake off the excess color. let is dry and then using a brush, brush on some petal/pearl or luster dust.

Thank you! It never would have occurred to me.

MaryAnn

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:38am
post #25 of 30

Howdy everyone!

Just finished making an entire dinner to bring to my Aunt & Uncle's tomorrow. Aunt just got over bronchitis and isn't up to cooking but I want to visit to see Uncle who just got out of the hospital.

Aunt is diabetic so I made the "Died and Went to Heaven Chocolate Cake" recipe from the spenda site as cupcakes and frosted them with MarkNRox's Diabetic Icing (CC recipe). I've used the Diabetic Icing recipe before at work for my residents, so I knew that would be really good.

The cupcakes were yummy for almost sugar free and turned out deep and dark. So I made funky peppermint pink and blue frosting and used 1m and 2d tips to decorate.

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:55am
post #26 of 30

Working on gumpaste roses for my aunts wedding next month. I have never done a wedding cake or gumpaste roses or fondant, lots of first on this cake! Gonna make a practice cake later this week. Thank God she loves me and is understanding that I am scared to death and excited at the same time. She knows all this and wants me to do it anyway, I think she is crazy! Wish me luck!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:00am
post #27 of 30

Well, my mom is still recuperating so I'm still on "break" and only doing family stuff...after filling the orders I had earlier this week. So now I only have our "Easter" cake (since we couldn't celebrate last weekend) to do this weekend. Cakes are baked and in the freezer. Kinda enjoying the break. Mind you I still have a birthday cake for a friend coming up this week and then my son's cake at the end of the month but that is basically time off from work for me....so yes, enjoying the break.

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 7:17am
post #28 of 30

WOW!!!! You ladies are BUSY!!! I can't wait until I can say I'm that busy. Just starting in the cake decorating game and I love it!!! This is my first time in the forum....never noticed it before. Well, I have my first "official sale" cake tomorrow...decorated banana cake. I was suppose to do a birthday cake also, but it got changed to next weekend. Pics to come.

leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #29 of 30

3:45 pm on Saturday and the fourth cake of the day was delivered and I'm back home. Time for bed. (Never made it last night. Pulled another all-nighter.)

The cakin' life is glamorous!! <-- sarcastic

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #30 of 30

WOW! I know what you mean Leah. My first wedding cake took me 24 hours to decorate. Thank goodness I've learned alot since then. Then I had to shower and attend the wedding. Hope you get some good rest. Hopefully I can join the club next friday with another project.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%