Wedding Cake Contract- Fresh Flowers- Help

Business By dreamcakesmom Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 2:45am by MicheleH

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 6

So i had a consulation today which went well but the bride is set on a 3 tier cake with tiers that have spacers to provide space in between for fresh flowers. She told me she already informed her florist that she will need extra flowers but my question for those that have done this type of cake is what parameters do you give in contract- How do you ensure you will have enough stems to cover cake approprately? time frime to get flowers to decorate it before reception/during set up ? Anything else I am missing?

5 replies
cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 6

There are several approaches to this.
1.) measure the spaces & have the florist create the arrangements to fit..then all you have to do is charge her for placing them on the cake.
2.) purchase filler flowers to fill in if you are worried you won't be provided enough.
3.) figure out exactly what you need and give the bride your custom request for the florist.

- be sure to chrge for your time on the flowers no matter how/where she brings them from. It's your design ulitmately and your name on the cake.
Do what you need to ensure the quality that you command.

PS: I request the flowers for the day before so that they are fresh & I have time to fix if need be.
Let us know how it goes :0)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:41am
post #3 of 6

Give her the dimensions of the space: "It's a 6" round on top of a 10" round ... the gap between the 2 tiers will be about 3 inches. The columns will be about 4" apart in a square pattern." etc. florists have done this before. they know the approx sizes of the cakes and the space.

I required the florals to be laying on the cake table when I delivered the cake at the venue and I added them at the time. not enough flowers? not my problem. I'll fill in the front best I can.

I did not want them delivered to me the day before because I was not going to be responsible for storing them (in my food refrigerator?); for potential wilting; for crushing or other damage.

Delivered one cake and there were no flowers. I checked with the venue staff and they knew nothing about cake flowers. oh well. Set up the cake and left.

Florals are the responsibility of the bride.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 6

I also have in my contract that no one is allowed to place flowers on the cake except for me.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Give her the dimensions of the space: "It's a 6" round on top of a 10" round ... the gap between the 2 tiers will be about 3 inches. The columns will be about 4" apart in a square pattern." etc. florists have done this before. they know the approx sizes of the cakes and the space.

I required the florals to be laying on the cake table when I delivered the cake at the venue and I added them at the time. not enough flowers? not my problem. I'll fill in the front best I can.

I did not want them delivered to me the day before because I was not going to be responsible for storing them (in my food refrigerator?); for potential wilting; for crushing or other damage.

Delivered one cake and there were no flowers. I checked with the venue staff and they knew nothing about cake flowers. oh well. Set up the cake and left.

Florals are the responsibility of the bride.

Lol...you are awesome!

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 6

I aspire to be like indydebi! It seems that I stress out over the little stuff for all the weddings that I do! Hopefully, this comes with experience? I've been doing for 5 years and still can't seem to relax!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%