Help!

Baking By isabelina81 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm by Dreme

isabelina81 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Cookie friends:
I need some advice, please. My cookies, after baking, are snappy. Because of the humidity here, I decorate and place them in an air conditioned room. Once dry, I remove them, wait a bit till they cool off and then bag them. Lately I've noticed that they are breaking more because the cookie has become moist. I tried bagging them in the same room but the problem still persists. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have 300 favors for my sons wedding and am worried about this. Any advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

6 replies
luv2bake6 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

I had that happen to me last year when i tried to make graduation cap cookies in hot weather. Even though i worked in a cool basement, the tassels all broke off from being so moist and the cookies were moist as well. I had to redo them all in the last minute. I'm assuming the cookies absorbed the moisture from the icing as well as from the humidity. I hope someone can suggest something that will help you.

TracyLH Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

If you have one, a dehumidifier in the room you are working in should help.

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have just gone through this problem over here in our Australian summer - high humidity thus alot of moisture in the air.

I ended up having to close off the air con to my caking room - and turn my columme heater on low so as to warm the room -
That stopped everything absorbing moisture.

Sounds crazy - but it worked for me -

Air con going to cool 99% of house down in 44C heat = 118F
Whilst i had the heater on the lowest setting in just one room trying to keep it warm and moisture free.

Autunm now - but i can't wait for Winter icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

luv2bake6 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 7

That's very interesting. At the time i was making the cookies, we did not have air-conditioning so there was more humidity. I think that once the really warm humid weather arrives, i'll have the cookies sit in the cooler part of the house while the ac is on and hope that works.

Bluehue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

That's very interesting. At the time i was making the cookies, we did not have air-conditioning so there was more humidity. I think that once the really warm humid weather arrives, i'll have the cookies sit in the cooler part of the house while the ac is on and hope that works.

Hmmm, most odd. icon_confused.gif

I also found that working at night became a usual thing for me - as the humidty wasn't so high.

After having the air con going for weeks on end in our high temperatures - i was starting to feel soggy myself icon_wink.gif - so i can only imagine how my regalice/medium and cookies were feeling

Spring - i find that the best time of year for all things cakes and cookies.
Only 5 months to go till its here - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue.

Dreme Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 7

A dehumidifier is your friend in hot weather! It will keep you from having to redo things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%