Best Gumpaste For Flowers?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm by aliciam

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 17

I'm venturing into gumpaste flowers and would like to know the best gumpaste to use? Straight ready-made gumpaste (Wilton) or tylose mixed with fondant or, a gumpaste powder mix from the store? or a home-made gumpaste recipe?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 17

I recommend you make your own. Use Nick Lodge's recipe. It's posted on his web site. I use it all the time and love it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 17

wilton ready made is great. and nick lodge recipe. love them both!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 17

i love the new wilton pre-made. my new go to gumpaste.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 17

Nick's is the best!!! Use it all the time & for competitions!! :0)

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 17

I've used Wilton mix, Wilton ready-to-use, and Satin Ice ready-to-use. I have no complaints with either of the Wilton products, other than the narrow opening on the ready-to-use makes it hard to get it out of the bag. But I prefer the Satin Ice, I think the texture is a little bit better, I prefer the tub with the plastic liner for storage, and if you use larger quantities, the Satin Ice is $4/lb when you buy 5 lbs (from Global Sugar Art,) while the Wilton 1 lb. bag is $9-$10.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 17

I, too, love Nick's gumpaste. It has such a nice feel to it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to learning to make flowers! icon_smile.gif
Terri

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #9 of 17

Definitely, Nicks! And it works in all kinds of humidity!

Paul

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #10 of 17

I can't seem to find theNick Lodge recipe can anyone help?

Thanky!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #11 of 17

Not sure if it's on this site or not, but I know you can get the recipe at www.designmeacake.com. I just made my first batch and I love it!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 17

His website is www.nicholaslodge.com

Paul

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 17

Hello everyone,

I had just tried going on the nicholaslodge website and can't seem to locate the gumpaste recipe. Can anyone tell me where abouts i would locate it on the site?

Thank you icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 17

My favorite is using Wilton regular fondant with gum-tec mixed in. Very flexible and it dries hard after a few days. I've tried the pre-made Nicholas Lodge and didn't like it at all...too sticky and when rolling it out it wanted to spring back into place. I haven't tried making my own gumpaste yet.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 17

Here is his recipe:
The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #16 of 17

FYI, I did use meringue powder mixed as stated on the container in place of the egg whites. Just in case anyone is paranoid like me about using uncooked eggs.

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 17

This is very helpful, thank you soooo much for posting icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%