What Else?

Decorating By Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm by CBMom

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 15

Started working on this cake two days ago after much debate on how to do a Pocahontas themed cake (thanks for all the suggestions).

Made the modeling chocolate figures, then finished them up yesterday morning. Baked all the layers then had to go get the kids from school. I didn't want to leave the chocolate figures on the counter (too interesting for two 3 year olds and a 5 year old) so I stuck them in the microwave above the stove. I'm sure you can see where this is going... Micco was a puddle by the time I got back to him and Pocahontas was a little distorted.

Remade Micco, touched up Pocahontas and frosted my layers.

Left the cakes on the counter to deal with the two of the kids pouring water on the floor on the bathroom, came back to the cakes to find a chunk missing out of one of them.

Threw a fit.

Fast forward to today... covered the cakes w/ fondant while the trio was at school and baby was napping and began painting.

Picked up the kids from school and came back to find the biggest fondant bubble I have ever seen.

Now I am trying to decide what to do. Should I remove the fondant, put cardboard between layers 2 and 3 (which I debated doing, didn't and now wish I had), recover and repaint or should I make a fondant plaque, write Happy Birthday Sabrina on it and slap it over the whole mess.
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 15

I can barely see the crease that was left behind after you popped the bubble because the painted trees hide it well. It looks fine. Afterall, it's going to be eaten, so when do we get to taste the mistake?!!!

Your Pocohontas and Meeko are adorable.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes

Should I remove the fondant, put cardboard between layers 2 and 3 (which I debated doing, didn't and now wish I had), recover and repaint or should I make a fondant plaque, write Happy Birthday Sabrina on it and slap it over the whole mess.

I like the plaque idea.... just do it BEFORE you pour yourself that big ol' margarita that you are overdue after a day like this... Really, it's likely no one will notice the post-bubble creases except you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 15

I agree that using a plaque to 'hide' the crack will be just fine.
Don't, again I say DON'T tell anyone why the plaque is there....the average Joe is not going to notice if it's not pointed out. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 15

Plaque would work...or what I'd do is add some royal icing piped thin vines, and a few tiny fondant flowers. Nothing big, but then if you do that around the entire cake, you can cover up any cracks or bubbles with your random vines. icon_smile.gif Its a forest, and its for a girl, so it will go with your theme...

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 15

I agree with all the suggestions above.. great ideas :0)
But mostly agree with Spuddysmom & suggest you do so before you hit the Margaritas (sounds like something I do!)..

I had a similar day once only mine involved a kitten that I thought was too small to jump on to the counter, HA!! Foolish me... left the cake to tend to 6 & 7 yr olds came back to have the kitten smack in the middle of the cake! (of course it was due in an hour & I had no back up cakes).. went to pick said kitten up only to find tiny claws stuck in the cardboard... cake went everywhere... Called client & thank God her DH's (whom cake was for) flight was delayed.. I baked another & redid the cake & got it to her as her DH was pulling up.. Thank God for delayed planes & margaritas!!

Lastly & most importantly know that in about 2 months you'll look back on this & laugh even though you feel like crying now... We all have these days and no one is above them... be gentle with yourself and rest assured it will all be ok :0) PS: we still have said kitten, now 22 lb cat & too fat to jump on counters!!! HA!! :0)

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #7 of 15

Your Pocahantas is A_M_A_Z_I_N_G_!_!_!

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 15

Im sorry you have had trouble with this but im sure that as long as you dont point it out no one will ever know you had a bad cake day! also i just have to tell you that your figures are incredible!!!!!!

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the encouragement. I went with the plaque! I just have to put the whole thing together and pray nothing else happens to this thing before delivery tomorrow.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #10 of 15

FINISHED! Finally!
LL
LL

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #11 of 15

i love you cake! its original and just adorable. you would never know you had so many problems.
well done!

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #12 of 15

Great Job!!!
We knew you could do it :0)
Now have that Margarita!!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:03am
post #13 of 15

Holly Cow...that's a great cake!!!!

I laughed about the cat in the cake. I've had a few problems with my dog. I was ready for the last decorations for a cake (gold chocolate coins) but couldn't find them anywhere. I knew I bought them. Checked the entire house, the car, and even made my DH go out and rummage through the trash cans to see if I accidently threw them out. He found the bag but no coins. Where could they be??? Found the gold wrappers in the corner of the backyard, all eaten by our dog. Panicked because chocolate is dangerous for dogs...but she's okay. Last week she got a hold of my barbie doll pick that was covered in fondant. The doll pick was licked clean. I guess my dog has a sweet tooth!

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 15

It came out great. Nice save!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 15

That is just lovely! So original, and Pocohontas and Meeko are adorable!

Great save, great job!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%