Looking For A Step By Step For Completing A Cake Order...

Decorating By TotallyBaked Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm by Amber0095

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 13

When I first joined I came across a step by step document in one of the forums with each step, beginning to end of completing an order... Anyone know where this is???

Thanks!

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 13

where did you get your logo?? Very cool!!!

TotallyBaked Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks! I designed it from several different concepts I had found online icon_smile.gif

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 13

KHalstead- speaking of logos, I love yours!

Totallybaked- I have no idea, I am new to the site, but I will put in another plug for Colette Peters book, 'Cakes to Dream On'. At the beginning of the book she gives some good step by step stuff. Then you have a bunch of amazing and inspiring cakes to look at, and learn from. If you do find a checklist somewhere, that would be cool though, but it seems like it would vary from cake to cake. HTH

TotallyBaked Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 13

The steps aren't so much decorating the cake itself, but more from taking the order, each step in preparing to decorate, (i.e. making fondant and such), paperwork, file keeping, ect... Can't wait to check out that book, though... Thanks for the suggestion icon_surprised.gif)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:12am
post #6 of 13

Should you be a taking cake order if you don't know the steps required to complete it ?

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #7 of 13

fairly new but have never seen it. hope you find it.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #8 of 13

I use Google Calendar (you can download Google Chrome for free) and it combines your calendar with your pictures and email and more...) well in the calendar... I make a Task List.... for the week before a cake is due... then I make a cake (in my head) and start write the tasks in order... so let's say the cake is due friday... I would do something like

Mon - Bake Vanilla Cake - Make 3 Batches of SS Buttercream - Make Fondant and/or gumpaste / make simple syrup
Tue - Prepare Cake Drum / make gumpaste flowers / fondant figures / prepare fruit filling (if req.)
Wed - Tort - Fill - Crumb / Paint / FInish / DUst Fondant/Gumpaste items
THU - Fondant Cake / Add ribbon / border / (at this stage the cake is finished by EOB
FRI - Last minute details / touch-ups / Deliver...

it gives u the option to do the task list with each having a due date and culminating the the completion date... I then print it and put it on my clip board that I have out so I can mark in the check mark spot when I copmple something... I go to it every morning... and I see what I need to do that day without forgetting....

You can even set it up to send you text message reminders and/or email reminders...

hth icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 13

hey but if you find that check list... please let me know I would love to see another way to make sure I do't miss anything...

TotallyBaked Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #10 of 13

Snarky - Not at all... This was more of a guideline, not a how-to. I just wanted to compare it to my routine and see if I was using my time to the best advantage that I could be. BTW, your screen name fits you icon_surprised.gif)
Dalis- Thanks a ton! I'm definitely going to check it out!

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #11 of 13

Snarkybaker- lol! Almost every time I take a cake order there are things I am unsure about. That's how we learn...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 13

hursdays, torte/fill/crumb coat

Friday decorate

You'll have to do what works best with your schedule and your cake orders, the planner is a lifesaver though.

Another thing I do is use an order form (I'll attach a photo) and write out each cake order for the week and line them up in order of due date/time in front of where I decorate. This way I have all the info for each cake, like the inscription, flavors, sizes, etc. when I'm baking and again when decorating

Amber0095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0095 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyBaked

When I first joined I came across a step by step document in one of the forums with each step, beginning to end of completing an order... Anyone know where this is???

Thanks!

I found these instructions after researching a Collete Peter's book that I really want "Cakes to Dream On". Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/20/04712146/0471214620.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%