Wedding And/or Party Serving Chart

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 10:08am by indydebi

cai0311 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 11

When you quote a cake or decide how many servings the cake will provide, do you base it off the type of cake? For example, Wilton has a wedding cake serving chart and a party cake serving chart. The same size cakes will serve a different number of people according to the two different charts.

10 replies
GI Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 11

Cake is same, whether its an 8" or 9" or 12" or a 3-tiered stack/torted....As for HOW MANY slices are needed, then ask the client if they wish "party sized as in a birthday slice" or "dessert sized as in a wedding slice."

You still charge the same amount for an 8" cake whether you have Party Sized slices or Dessert/WEdding sized slices. As for *my* preference, I LIKE CAKE AND I WANT A BIG PIECE therefore, am going to want ENOUGH cake to do PARTY/BIRTHDAY sized slices.

Even for my own wedding! We had 24 people total....we had one 10" round and one 6" round. Torted, filled, iced.

We ate EVERY BITE and nothing was left! icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps you! thumbs_up.gif

cai0311 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 11

Maybe it is just me (probably, it is a Friday), but that made no sense to me.

Quote:
Quote:

Cake is same, whether its an 8" or 9" or 12" or a 3-tiered stack/torted....As for HOW MANY slices are needed, then ask the client if they wish "party sized as in a birthday slice" or "dessert sized as in a wedding slice."

It matters because I charge per slice. If I ask a client what size slice they want, of course they will pick the larger option. In that case, there will be less servings per tier - so, less money for me.

For example, using the party guide a 9" and 6" round cake will serve 36 people. 36 x 2.5 (my charge per slice) = $90.
The wedding guide says a 9" and 6" round cake will serve 44. 42 x 2.5 = $105.

For weddings I always use the wedding guide. But I know the caterer will know the proper way to cut and serve the cake. The average person has no clue what-so-ever.

MyDiwa Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 11

I think the idea is to work backwards. You should have a set price for each size of cake. If the client asks you for a cake that serves X no. of people, you should have a chart that tells you the standard servings per cake size. You'd then tell the client using standard serving sizes of 2x1x4, you'd need this size cake which costs this amount. If they want bigger serving sizes, they can opt for a bigger cake that will yield the number of servings they want, and you would then charged whatever your standard cost is for that size cake.

Your price is for the cake, the number of servings can be adjusted by the client according to their needs, with your guidance. I hope that makes it clearer.

Aedans_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 11

I made a serving/cutting guide. I have the guide available to clients when they order the cake. I also send a copy of the serving guide along with the finished cake so that they know the proper way to slice the cake. This also gives me an opportunity to indicate where any supports are.

I like to use large slices, because I LOVE to eat cake. But, because I use larger serving sizes, I also charge more per slice.

Here are my servings guides. Feel free to use/change them if you need too!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 11

I price off the wedding servings. I also tell them the wedding serving amount as well as the serving size. If they want more cake they can order more cake.

For me that is easier than charging two different prices for the sizes or having to explain why the same size cake costs more because it is for a wedding.

dreamcakesmom Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 11

I base mine off of earlenes party chart for party cakes and wilton wedding for wedding. I tell clients the slice size and if they opt to serve bigger pieces they need to order a cake that will provide them the extra servings.

sweetcakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

I base any 4" high or taller cake by the number of servings that wilton quotes. I made myself a sheet with sizes, servings and combinations, then i add the price i charge for that size beside it. thats just for a simple iced and minimal decorating cake, then when im quoting i look at that and add on what i feel is fair for the extra work the customer is asking, doesnt matter if its a birthday or wedding, my prices are set for the size combination. i tried to attach it but its not ready it. if anyone wants to see it i will email it to them.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:40am
post #9 of 11

First of all, you dont' charge the same per-slice-price if you are giving a bigger piece of cake. Large fries cost more than small fries.

A standard 1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches. (wedding serving)
A party sized serving is 1.5x2x4 = 12 cubic inches = 50% more cake per serving.

Ergo, your per-serving price would be 50% more.

1x2x4 = $3.00/serving
1.5x2x4 = $4.50 serving

Then it all just boils down to semantics. The cost of hte cake is the same.

12" square cake, when cut in 1x2x4, yields 72 servings (6 rows by 12 columns). 72 x $3 = $216 for the cake.

12" square cake, when cut in 1.5x2x4, yields 48 servings (6 rows by 8 columns). 48 x $4.50 = $216 for the cake.

they can cut it any way they like. I tell them "This cake will serve 45 to 70, depending on how you cut it. The price is $216."

You don't charge the same price per serving when you are giving more cake per serving.

The cost of the cake ends up being the same.

Pick one chart. use it for pricing. Stick with it.

If you start going back and forth, you're just going to cause problems for yourself.

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:56am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedans_Cakes

But, because I use larger serving sizes, I also charge more per slice.

The problem with that is that when people are comparison shopping, they will look at the price per serving, not the size of the slices, so you will lose anyone who's just looking for the best price.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:08am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedans_Cakes

But, because I use larger serving sizes, I also charge more per slice.

The problem with that is that when people are comparison shopping, they will look at the price per serving, not the size of the slices, so you will lose anyone who's just looking for the best price.

Agree. Using my example above, cake civilians wont' stop and figure out it's the same size cake. All they'll hear is "her cake only serves 48 people but it's the same price as the one that serves 72! I'm getting the one that serves 72!"

Seriously, you can explain it 'till you're blue in the face and they will not understand it's the same size cake for the same price. dunce.gif

That's why I dont' even go there. Industry standard .... one price .... no explaining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%