Cake Balls?

Decorating By Calgary_Mama Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm by adamsmom

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

what are they?! lol this might sound silly, but until I started coming on this board, I'd never heard of them!
What are they, how do you make them?

4 replies
Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

You can make them from regular cake or the tops that you cut off after baking a cake.

I made a batch once using vanilla coffee creamer and my last batch I added just enough buttercream to make the cake stick together.

I then dipped them in dark chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 5

Cake balls, crufffles or cake truffles they are sometimes called....are cake that has been baked and crumbled with icing,coffee creamer added as a binder and then dipped in chocolate. There is a thread discussing this topic if you do a search. HTH icon_smile.gif You can also google it seeing that I'm no good at adding attachments icon_redface.gif

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 5

OOOOOO!!!! You're missing out! These are very yummie. This is how I make them, not sure how others do.

Bake cake as you normally do. Then let cool. Once cake is cooled, break into crumbs with fork. Then add ~1/2 cup of icing to it if using a 9X13 pan(I use buttercream). You need to use enough icing to be able to roll into balls, but if too much is used they will fall apart. Once you roll them into balls set them into the refrigerator/freezer for a while to set up. In the meantime, melt some chocolate (either kind is fine (white or reg. chocolate), but I make sure I use baking chocolate, not the chips). Make sure consistancy is thin enough it doesn't clump when falling off a spoon. Then dip the balls in chocolate and let set up. (I put mine in the fridge to speed up the process). I got the cake balls idea from bakerella.com if you'd like to see what they look like. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%