Straws Instead Of Dowels?

Decorating By meredith1851 Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 1:54am by Sweet_Guys

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 18

Is it ok to use drinking straws instead of dowels for a 2 tiered round cake?

I know for larger cakes one would probably want the extra strength of the dowel, but is it really necessary for a 2 tiered cake?

17 replies
cookiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedecorator Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 18

I use bubble tea straws on my two tiered cake. You can buy them at an Asian market. They are much larger than regular drinking straws and can hold more weight. I saw this method in a Sharon Zambito video...she said she uses them all the time.

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 18

You can use the drinking straws, cut them to size for the cake.
You will prob have to put about 5 straws in the cake for better support.

But, if your going to put fondant on the cake and other deco's, you would prob want to go with the bubble tea straws too. They are more sturdy for the weight support.

HTH

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 18

I've used regular drinking straws for a couple of two tier fondant covered cakes (6 of them in the bottom layer), and haven't had any problems. And the last cake had an over 4" top layer...

ZoesMum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 18

I've used regular drinking straws for a couple of two tier fondant covered cakes (6 of them in the bottom layer), and haven't had any problems. And the last cake had an over 4" top layer...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 18

I use regular drinking straws for all of my two tiered (8/6 inch) cakes. I've never had any problems.

ZoesMum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 18

Sorry for the double post...don't know what happened there!

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 18

I have also used regular drinking straws instead of dowels on two tiered cakes. I use 5 or 6 of them in the bottom tier and haven't had any trouble. I don't use them for cakes with 3 or more tiers though.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:40am
post #9 of 18

I also use drinking straws - the cheap kind from IKEA icon_biggrin.gif If the cake is more than 2 tiers or extra heavy I also put a wooden skewer( not sure if it's the right word? But the stick that you use for barbecue...) inside each straw as extra support

cookiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedecorator Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 18

The dowel/straw combination is a great idea for extra support.

ZoesMum Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 18

I like that idea too...since I haven't been able to find bubble tea straws yet! Anyone in the Toronto Ontario area out there who knows where to get them?

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 18

I order my bubble tea straws from Boba Tea Direct. HTH thumbs_up.gif

ZoesMum Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks Bethkay! Shipping to Canada ends up being more than the straws usually, but next time my hubby in the States I might put in an order! I need to do a search for Canadian Bubble Tea suppliers...

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 18

Zoesmom - I get mine from Flour COnfections in Pickering. Cheap straws and shipping isn't bad either. Depending on where you are you may even be able to just go shopping there icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:56pm
post #15 of 18

I use the boba thick straws as well on 2 tiered cakes for support & have purchased them on ebay for super cheap!

ZoesMum Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #16 of 18

Great KTB4!! Thanks very much...I am in Oakville, so I will probably just get them shipped. Off to order right now!!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #17 of 18

yeah, just wanted to chime in saying that i use bubble tea straws for every tiered cake and love them. very sturdy, cheap and easy to cut! i went to an asian food store and got 200 of them for $1.49!!! the only bummer is that i only had my debit card and they had a $10 minimum, so i had to buy 7 or 8 packages, but i'm glad it did...i think i'm on my 3rd package, so business is good icon_smile.gif if you can't find an asian food store, you may even be able to purchase some from your local asian rest.?!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #18 of 18

We got them from P a n e r a bread....Saw the manager and got about 500 straws for $5.00.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%