Do You Guys Ever Worry About Your Cakes As Much I Do?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 9:05am by Nacnacweazel

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 20

I just finished making my second topsy turvy cake. I'll try to attach a picture. I just can't stop worrying about what happens after the customer takes it home. She's picking it up today around 4 or 5 p.m. What if something falls off or it just collapeses for some reason. I did take lots of precautions though. Dowels between the layers and three wooden dowels down the whole cake. I used Sharon Zambito's directions (the optical illusion way, so it's not really crooked) so hopefully it'll be okay. Ahhhh!

19 replies
jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 20

I have never made a topsy turvey yet but am sure I will be terrified! I worry whenever someone comes to collect a cake in case they dont like it, they always have but I always worry lol

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 20

I don't think I have ever done a cake I didn't worry about. The topsy turvy ar the worst though.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 20

This is why I NEVER allow a stacked cake to be picked up...delivery ONLY! That way it gets there in one piece for sure and if something does happen I can fix the problem.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 20

I always use Sharon's method and my cakes always travel stacked. And customers pick it up and travel just fine with them. I never had problem with stacked cakes. I LOVE Sharon's method, works for straight and whimsical cakes perfectly!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 20

yeah, if you're going to be worried, then make your cakes delivery only or already add a delivery fee in the price you quote so that the client won't feel like there is an option if they see "delivery fee-$50." that way if something does happen to the cake, at least you'll be able to fix it rather than the client "trying" to fix it and mess it up far worse than it was to begin with.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 20

is that her topsy turvy dvd??

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I used Sharon Zambito's directions (the optical illusion way, so it's not really crooked)

I have the DVD, are your talking about the way she sculpts the cakes and sits them in their own "hole" so to speak?

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks Lelka! You made me feel a lot better! I was really careful to make it level and dowel it properly, so I think it'll be okay.
Yes, that's the DVD - the one where the cake sits in the hole so it's actually level. It's an excellent DVD! She covers everything you need to know... 3- 2" high layers per tier so your cake is tall enough (and doesn't look swat) etc. I used buttercream under my fondant though, not the ganash like in her DVD.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 20

My biggest nightmare is the weather here, I take every precaution you can think of to keep everything dry, I know there must be a lot of CCers who have the same problem I do & I would love to hear from them, keep in mind that like most folks who live in Hawaii, I don't have air conditioning! Sorry to hi-jack your post The_Sugar_Fairy but I am always praying that the weather wont let me down!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #11 of 20

I swear I give myself another grey hair with each cake...and I'm the one doing the delivering! LOL! I worry about everything and it starts with the baking (done enough, too done, soggy middle or crusty outside) to the crumbcoat (too thin, too thick, not smooth enough) to the filling (too little, too much) to the fondant (will it go on smooth or will it be a fight, will there be bulges and bubbles) to the final (whew) delivery to the client. Each step is full of worry but it's also full of "I did it" reward and that last moment when I set it down at the venue and the client is oooo'ing and awwwww'ing...yup, that makes all the worry worth it!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:56am
post #12 of 20

I lose sleep for days thinking about how I am going to do the different decorations. Once I am working on the cake I'm okay, but then I am crazed again when I have to deliver the cake. I finally relax once the cake has changed hands icon_smile.gif
It is great how cake can make someone smile and ooh and aah over your work!

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #13 of 20

I am so glad to hear I am not alone in the "worry factor" regarding each and every cake. I DON'T WANT TO STRESS, but just like mentioned above, there is SO much to consider from the initial baking, to the fillings, to the construction, to the final decoration! Much room for error - as well as much room for SUCCESS! There is a fine line between the two and when we succeed - it is wonderful. But when there are mishaps - it can be SO very stressful and many times there are circumstances beyond our control, but we are expected to fix it. In most cases we are able to fix it - but sometimes there are certain odds against us and we just have to realize we are dealing with CAKE ... and our customers will have to be aware of that. I think most of us go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything is done correctly - but there is always that margain of error that we fear.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #14 of 20

I am primarily a hobbyist but I also fret over cakes. Cookies, cupcakes, pies, and other baked goods...I don't but cakes give me a little anxiety. I just want it to be pretty and appealing to the eye as well as the palate.

I am soooo much more a baker than a decorator...as my pics prove icon_redface.gif I have sooo much to learn.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #15 of 20

I almost always find something to worry about with each cake!!!!!

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #16 of 20

When customer comes to pick up the cake I make sure that cake is completely chilled and stable inside. I use IMBC and for some reason dont have too big of a "Sweating" fondant issue, but having chilled cake with proper support really puts my mind at ease with the delivery. I know at least 4 of my cakes traveled for 2.5 hours both directions and being 3 tiers each they didn't have a single issue. Absolutely agreed with VikiChiki, there are a lot of things to consider with the whole set up.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 20

I worry, fret, mull, loose sleep, freak out, the works. I learn something new with every single one. They all get prayed about alot, and by the time the clients are oohing and awwing, I am firmly confident that God pulled it all together.

Zee4040 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zee4040 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

I worry, fret, mull, loose sleep, freak out, the works. I learn something new with every single one. They all get prayed about alot, and by the time the clients are oohing and awwing, I am firmly confident that God pulled it all together.

My sentiments exactly. I am so glad I am not the only one suffering from this "cake confection condition."

Himee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Himee Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:51am
post #19 of 20

If you think about it its like a kid that you gave labour to and raised and did the very best to make it the very best. My husband hates it when I ask him to come with me b/c i will literally freak out about the setup down to just how it looks. Lol, and i can always notice my imperfections on a cake from like 100 feet away. its silly but really if you didnt fret about it i would say your crazy. icon_biggrin.gif

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:05am
post #20 of 20

It's got my name on it, so, of course I drive myself nuts with worry about whether it's as close to perfect as possible. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%