Advice On Stacking 3 Tier First Time Without Sps

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm by l80bug79

kileyscakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I have not stacked a cake yet, and I have been asked to do a 3 tier for a graduation and a wedding, I feel my fondant work has gotten pretty clean and now stacking cakes is my next goal, but it makes me so nervous thinking about it. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on stacking cakes with dowels or tea straws, I don't want to invest in sps system for just a 3 tier cake. Do you put anything in between the cake to not stick to fondant or buttercream? I also want to be able to travel with it fully assembled. Will a wilton silver cake base be strong enough? it should be right?
thanks so much!

9 replies
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 10

icon_sad.gif

SPS would cost less than $9.

kileyscakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 10

where do I get it for 9$?

luddroth Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 10

As a big fan of Leah's, I used sps for my very first stacked cake -- after reading many, many entries in these forums by bubble tea and dowel people as well. I decided to start with the safest, easiest way -- sps -- and I'm glad it did. All the things you're worrying about right now will go away and you'll get your cakes safely to where they're going. Just imagine your beautiful cake collapsed in a gory heap and then go on-line and spend the $9 for the sps. You'll sleep so much better.

kileyscakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 10

where do all of you buy it from? I also worry I won't get my cakes at exactly 4 inches then what?

krm52200 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 10

I just ordered my SPS from Oasis. They seemed to have the best price and it came in 3 days. I ordered five sets for around $45. I haven't used it yet, the cake I ordered it for is due next week, but I look forward to not having to stress over the delivery!

l80bug79 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 10

I use the tea straws and haven't had a problem with them yet. You can find them for about $2 to $3 for a pack of 40 or 50 and I get 2 "supports" out of one straw. works well for me.

charliejo Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

ok new here what are tea straws? red coffee stires, sorry

charliejo Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 10

l80bug79 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejo

they're thick plastic straws used for shakes i think....i guess in specialty shops don't know never seen them used that way.... I found out about them on forum posts here on cc a while back. you can find them on amazon/ebay http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BKCXGI/?tag=cakecentral-20 here's a link

you just stick them in the cake snip off at the top of the tier and you're done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%