Anyone Know How To Get Rid Of Ants?

Business By snowshoe1 Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm by 1cakeup

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #31 of 45

Terro is awesome. I've also made my own boric acid bait with the sugar syrup and they love it.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #32 of 45

Have your uncle take her home !!!! LOL it's late Friday night,roller skate cake kicking our rear. Thought a good laugh would help .

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #33 of 45

Does the boric acid work on grease ants? Most our ants in the South have NO interest in syrup/sweet things. They want meat. We had a BILLION of them last summer (during Monsoon) then they disappeared. I wonder if they come in because their outdoor homes are flooded?

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #34 of 45

Man, this is some valuable information! I'm saving this for if and when this issue comes up in the future.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 May 2011 , 12:43am
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Once I stayed in my room for 2 hrs till my DH came home from work and killed the roach.

I've done that with spiders. Thank goodness for my teenage son. He kills them for me, too.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #36 of 45

Aunts, depends on what type they are. You have to use different things for the different types. A home depot store ought to be able to tell you what you can use for the different types. I would think.

Roaches, just creep me out. I don't blame her for staying in her room. My problem would be that if I had, it would have disappeared by the time he got home and would wait until he was at work again to come out. More than likely if I saw one of those creatures, I would be calling him at work and finding out if I could have a critter killer come out. I am not one that would be good about not being able to get my stuff done because I saw a critter I did not like.

Spiders, depends on where they are and what they are on what I do with them and also on how big they are. If they are in the bathtub, they usually can't get out and I just get my husband to kill them when he gets home. It is not that I am afraid of them. I will kill them if I have to, to be able to use what I need to use. If they are outside I try to give them wide berth as that is their turf. Some spiders are our friends so I do not want to get rid of them.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #37 of 45

However "friendly" they are...they creep me the Freak out. So they better stay out of my house or they become fair game!

jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #38 of 45

Karateka, I hear ya. When they are in my house it is fair game to me also. If I feel generous then I may try to take them outside to get rid of, but if I am in a hurry and they cross my path, they are probably going to get squashed. LOL.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:15am
post #39 of 45

I swear by the Terro stuff also. We have been waiting to see if we have a problem with them this year since we do every year, but as soon as I see the first few I will be getting my supply out. It is like CRACK to them, they are drawn to it, in fact it is disgusting because you will put a few drops out or one of those traps and they will fill it and climb all over each other to get to it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 May 2011 , 2:56am
post #40 of 45

The borax sounds like a great idea! We rarely have ants but today I found TWO inside the window and trying to sniff around my cake work area. So I'm guessing they are crawling up the house and in the window where my normal work area is.

I might have to try to put some borax right around the window and on the ground outside.

Our church has a big ant problem in the summer though...maybe the borax will help there, too.

gildee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gildee Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #41 of 45

Guess what, I have found a fool proof and cheap way of getting rid of ants and it is also kids friendly, I found this out at HGTV one day bout a year ago and it works.

Get a bottle of any brand ORANGE cleaner solution, ants hate it, kills instantly and no danger to kids who are still in the crawling around the room and lick thier fingers stage but I don't have toddlers to worry about and I tell all new moms about this remedy for ants, any size adn any kind!

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #42 of 45

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I was told by an exterminator to mix equal parts of boric acid powder and baby food egg yolk, then take some little squares of white paper and dab a litle of the mixture on each. Spread them around where you see the ants, and they will come looking for that protein in the egg, taking it back to the nest, where it will kill the whole colony. Worked for the fire ants here in Texas. icon_evil.gif

Note: they are sloppy eaters, and you will see a trail of yellow.

jules5000 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:06pm
post #43 of 45

all kinds of ways and ways I certainly didn't know about. I didn't know a baby egg yolk food was available. My babies haven't been babies for a long time. I like the Orange cleaner idea also. thank you to all who put their ideas and ways on here. I have learned a lot even though I was not the one to start this discussion.

delcox3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delcox3 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:20pm
post #44 of 45

I use Borax mixed with sugar and it works like a charm icon_biggrin.gif

1cakeup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cakeup Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #45 of 45

baby powder , go ahead ... try it !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%