From Dome To Crater. Why Why Why????

Decorating By Skirt Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm by TheCakeShak

Skirt Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:55am
post #1 of 7

The cake goes in the oven. It bakes. It looks fantastic. I pull it out of the oven. 5-10 minutes later, the small dome I had in the center of the cake becomes a crater. icon_mad.gif ARGH! icon_mad.gif I know I can even it all out with icing but man does this burn my a__. Sorry but I'm just so frustrated right now. If anyone has a solution to this, please please please share.

Thanks for letting me vent

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:38am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like it's just not baked properly. Does a skewer come out clean, it it the right colour, is the top springy, does the smell fill the house? What sort of size, temperature and time have you used?
xx

leily Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:42am
post #3 of 7

also, is it a scratch recipe, or a box, or a modified box?

Odyssey Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 7

I had problems with WASC sinking while it was still in the oven. Turns out I just needed to add a bit of baking powder. I don't know if that will help you, but if it's just this recipe that's falling then it may be a consideration.

Good Luck!

arosstx Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7

Are you touching the dome to test it before you pull it out? If you touch it lightly and the imprint from your finger stays, it's not finished baking. If you touch it, it leaves a mark, then springs back - take it out, it's done!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

Scratch or mix (if so what brand/flavor or doctored recipe are you using) and what pan are you using?

TheCakeShak Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 7

Sounds like you needed to perhaps turned your oven down 5 degrees and let it bake a bit longer to where you see it coming away from the sides of the pan.

What size is this cake? If it's 10" or bigger perhaps should use a flower nail for baking and or baking strips.

Go back and double check your ingredients if it's a scratch cake, maybe you are using "expired" ingredients which will affect the recipe. And if a scratch recipe did you sift the flower?

Were your eggs at room temp before you put them in the recipe? Were the eggs fresh and not expired?

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%