Imbc Disaster In The Making - Please Help!!!

Baking By still_learning Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 7:19am by ceshell

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:42am
post #1 of 6

I'm having a serious problem with my IMBC tonight. It is extremely runny and not firming up and I'm not sure what the problem is - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I made a slightly larger batch than I normally do - 1.5x. I didn't realize how bad it was before I added the melted chocolate to make it a chocolate IMBC (made sure the choc was cooled to about 100°F). Now it's sort of more like chocolate soup icon_confused.gif I put it in the fridge for a long time to see if everything was just too warm and it started to seem better but I put it back on my KA to rewhip and when I went to check it a minute or two later it was chocolate soup again!!! I'd love to hear any ideas - can this batch be saved? Do I just restart? TIA!!!

5 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:52am
post #2 of 6

is it too cold now? you can try warming the bowl over a pot of boiling water. hope it works out ... just whip the snot out of it!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:10am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if this makes sense but I think rewhipping it after cooling it in the fridge warmed it up to the point where it was runny again. I've always read to just keep whipping but it seems like it was going in the wrong direction. It definitely isn't too cold. Do you think it could be a lost cause because I already added the chocolate? I've never had a real IMBC problem - it has always been my standby. UGH!!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 6

I'm still having a hard time getting IMBC and chocolate to play nice. When I add melted (but not hot, just viscous) chocolate, it starts to lose volume and stability. Last week I tried adding ganache instead, and that seemed to work better.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

I just put it in the fridge and it looks terrible, but it eventually comes together. The bigger the batch, the more soupy it gets. I've recently found that whatever I do, it needs a spell in the fridge before it comes together properly. When you do put it back on to mix, walk away for a few minutes. It looks terrible but it comes together eventually!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:19am
post #6 of 6

By now you've resolved this! But yes, I agree, if it's still soupy it hasn't gotten cold enough. I've put it in the fridge for 15 minutes, only to discover that it needed longer. You just never know if it's the right temp. I'd rather err on the side of too firm and let it go through the "curdled" appearing stage (too cold) and beat it til it comes together...much easier than fighting with it when it's too warm. If it's a little too cold when I whip it, I run my hands under the hot faucet and then use them to heat up the bowl a bit; this way I can continue to whip WHILE warming the bowl.

Anyway I hope today's batch worked out for you! I admit, I use ganache when turning my IMBC to chocolate...I've never tried it with straight chocolate but I do see that listed as an option all of the time. Either way I do always ensure the chocolate is room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%