I'm A Bit Nervous - 6" Topsy Turvy Tiers???

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 4:24am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #1 of 5

So, I have my first topsy turvy cake coming up soon. I'm thinking of doing 6in tiers instead of 4in, to give greater effect. Is this wise?

Now, I've read and read and read on how these cakes are put together. However, let me try to clear it up once again. Once the "pit" lets call it, is cut from the base layer, a support is put in...going from the bottom of the "pit" to the board. 2nd tier goes in. Wash rinse repeat, except 2nd support, goes down to first support? This will put the weight of the top 2 tiers on the board, and not the bottom tier.

Oh yeah! Guess I should have mentioned it was a 3 tier square. 8/12/16in

BC/MMF standard stuff

Your input will be VERY much appreciated!

4 replies
d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

Wow, I guess these forums have really died off

d3sc3n7 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

Wow, I guess these forums have really died off

KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 5

sounds like you've got the right plan and you understand the construction. The most important thing when doing these cakes is to make sure that the side of your "pit" is slightly larger than the cake going into the pit....otherwise it will put pressure on the outside wall of the cake and cause it to fall apart!!

on a side note....I always make the tiers 6" high instead of 4".....so you're fine there!

d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 5

Ok thanks! I'm not usually nervous about cakes, but this one seems like it could be tricky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%