Can Cake Discolor The Filling?

Decorating By adoubleen Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm by dreamcakesmom

adoubleen Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 3

Today i made a chocolate cake, filled it with come storebought bavarian cream, and now, a few hours later, the bavarian cream has turned from yellow to.. brownish yellow?

Thank goodness i didn't give this cake to anyone, it was just for practice. But do you think the filling went bad? it wasn't refridgerated when i bought it, i refridgerated it after i opened it though, and have made cakes with it since then that sit out on the counter. There is no expiry date anywhere on the pachaging either.

Any ideas?

2 replies
minicuppie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 3

I would be hesitant to use anything without an expiration date on it. I check for dates if I buy from a store and check the date on things that are delivered. Just the way I roll. Maybe you can contact the manufacturer for the sell by on your B. cream.

dreamcakesmom Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

My gut instinct would be if the cake were going to alter the color of the filling it would be right where the cake hits the filling, in other words there may be a thin line of sdiscolored filling, if the whole filling is different color than I would say the filling itself changed either by spoilage or change of temp, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%