Fondant Coverage

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm by kmdrysdale

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

I am using the Easy Chocolate MMF recipe (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14571/mrsnancybs-easy-chocolate-mmf) and was wondering if there is a way to know how large of a cake that will cover? I am wanting to cover a 12" square cake that will be about 4" high (2 of the 2" layers). I've never actually weighed any of my fondant so any of the charts I have found are not helping me. I've never made such a large cake either so having enough fondant has never been a concern. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:03am
post #2 of 5

To measure how much fondant you will need to cover a cake, you could measure the opposite sides and top of the cake across the center. Then roll out the fondant to that size.

e.g.: 8" round cake + 2 sides 4" each= 16" diameter fondant needed.

Hope that helps, it's the only other way I know to measure without weighing.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 5

I haven't used that exact recipe but it is similiar to the one I use and you should have plenty enough to cover the 12" square icon_smile.gif hth

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 5

A MMF batch it's more than enough to cover the cake... and you will have some leftover also...

I don't weight it either.. I look at the cake I have... and take out a big ball of fondant that I guesstimate will cover the cake.... always works.... well... lemme say it like this... I always have a bigger piece than I need... but I'd rather it be bigger and not smaller... so I don't mind...

Good Luck

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the assurance. I found this chart - http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/tips/fondantchart.php and everything was estimated by weight. I wasn't sure how much fondant that recipe made so I thought I'd ask the experts. Just for "fun" I think I'll weigh a full batch just so I have an idea how accurate the chart is. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%