Need Help!

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm by Stitches

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I have a wedding cake coming up and most of it I am ok with but on the front of it are supposed to be two Marine swords crossed with a plaque in the middle holding them that says United States Marine Corps. This is a non-cake sort-of focal point piece that attaches to the front of the cake. I carefully carved them out of styrofoam and today I went to cover them with fondant. As soon as I laid the fondant onto the piece the handles of the swords broke off.

What I ended up doing was making new blades out of gumpaste/fondant mix with a skewer to poke into the styrofoam middle and the same with the two handles. I am just not sure if the gumpaste parts- especially the handles because they come out the bottom part- will actually stay on. I thought maybe with the help of RI? Any ideas please please please!

If you cant picture what I am talking about scroll down a little ways on this link and you will see it: http://cakelava.blogspot.com/2008/11/happy-birthday-marines.html

2 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 3

Maybe using wilton melts instead of RI? Dries quicker and structurally holds better IMO.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 3

I'm a little late to this...........but I always use melted chocolate or candy melts as my "glue" for everything. It's the perfect medium because you can put your items/cake in the cooler and it won't melt. It also won't give out in a hot room either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%