Fillings: Safe Or Scary?

Decorating By oceanslayer Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:35am by kakeladi

oceanslayer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 2

I am making my first wedding cake this month and I was thinking about trying fillings but I don't know enough about them and what potential they have for disaster.

For one tier I was thinking of making a vanilla cake with bavarian cream filling. Second tier, white chocolate cake with white chocolate cream filling. Third tier, marble cake with possibly a strawberry buttercream filling.

Have any of you used bavarian cream fillings? For some reason, I envision it being like pudding or whipped cream so I wonder if it will make the cake less stable. I will have to travel with this cake already stacked.

Thank you!

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #2 of 2

I have used Bavarian for years. Usually I get it commercially - when I had my shops I bought it in big 30#(?) buckets. Other times I'd buy the sleeve. It is very safe to use. It is like pudding and no it does not make the cake less stable if you don't put more than 1/4" on. I usually used tip 12 to pipe the dam, then filled the cake to the top of that dam.
It is better to torte each layer and have 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling than use one thick layer of filling between the 2 layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%