Have Anyone Put Together A Cake Repair Kit To Take To Site

Decorating By Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm by Sweet-Sensation-Cakery

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 21

Hi, i would like to know have anyone put together a cake repair kit to take when delivering your cakes. Just in case you have a mishap? What all do you include in the kit?

20 replies
nicoles0419 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 21

I always do!!! frosting, tips, fondant, dowels, spatula, depending whats on the cake, like extra flowers incase I need to cover a crack or somthing

kaat Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 21

I bought a caddy for scrapbooking. I use it to store colours and tips but it is very portable and I will take it with me when I deliver. What goes in it depends on the cake. Extra anything and everything.
http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/432327.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I bought a caddy for scrapbooking. I use it to store colours and tips but it is very portable and I will take it with me when I deliver. What goes in it depends on the cake. Extra anything and everything.
http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/432327.html

That's a great little tool -- can you get it at Michaels or JoAnns or is it just an online product?

kaat Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 21

I bought mine at walmart. They had two sizes there. I'm glad I changed my mind and got the larger one! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 21

i always take a repair kit.

cakemom42 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 21

I bought a small tool bag (like a plumbers bag) at Lowes... I fill it with extra spoons, sm cake knife, tips, tweezers, sm rolling pin, sm sissors, tape, piping bags, royal icing (white), & business cards... as well as some butter cream if I have used it on the cake. In addition I have all my modling/gumpaste tools in a make-up bag so alls I do is zip it up and go. (I bought a nice Vera Bradley for this one to match the plumbers bag of course!!)
Oh & I also have sm cardboard in there too just in case the table's not level!!

much of these items stay in the bag & I remove only the edible items upon returning home... & I clean all used items & put them right back in the bag :0)

ayerim979 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 21

Mines includes dowels,toothpicks, sprinkle jar, scissors, blade, tweezers, pipping bags, dowels and of course some BC. Also extra decorations depending on the cake.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 21

In additition to what the other's have suggested, I also bring paper towels. Even though my cakes are for friends and family, I always think they have enough to do setting up the rest of their event, so I like to have virtually everything I'd need without having to ask anyone for anything. icon_smile.gif

Sherry1030 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #10 of 21

I bring most of the above and also birthday candles and matches, as well as extra decorations, a paintbrush and some water since inevitably something always breaks on the road and either needs to be replaced or reattached!

Occther Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #11 of 21

I use a plastic file box like you pick up at an office supply store. I have set up cakes in the weirdest places and didn't have ready access to water so I always pack a damp dishcloth in a zip lock bag. I also take double sticky tape, extra ribbon, plastic stir sticks (the kind that are like a straw) and extra knife for serving the cake. (Next time I find a place that sells inexpensive knives that work for cutting cake, I going to pick several. You would be surprised the number of Friday evening calls stating they don't have a knife to serve the wedding cake.)

dalis4joe Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #12 of 21

I use a tool box... lots of little nooks and crannies lol... bring RI, BC, Fondant, Extra cake accesories... a kitchen towel... latex gloves.... my fondant tool, ball tool, exacto knife, pins... toothpicks.... brush... tylose glue....

I try to pack it with everything... I have had the need to fix only once... thankfully!!! but I always carry it just in case...

besides... DH order us our own co chef's jackets in black and in white also and I kinda like how the look comes together with the jacket (with the pencil/pen slots on the sleeve), the tool box... it's like the whole package lol

looking like a PRO! hehehehe

eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #13 of 21

What I put in depends on the cake. I just think of everything that could possibly go wrong and a couple things that can't and I put in everything that I would need to fix those problems. I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but better to be safe than sorry right?

Usually it means some or all of the following:

Kitchen sheers
Toothpicks
Piping bag
Tips
Extra Fondant
Extra Buttercream
lemon extract and shimmer dust
paintbrush
a dish for water or extract and dust
Towel
paper towels
fondant tools that I may need
offset spatula
wire/florist tape/etc depending on flowers
a small sharp knife

costumeczar Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #14 of 21

The only time you don't take one will be the only time you'll really need it!

dalis4joe Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

LOL for sure!!!

ayerim979 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

LOL for sure!!!

When I made my 1st and probably last castle, all the turrets pretty much fell, and well I had nothing on me to fix them icon_cry.gif

I walked into my cousins party with the turrets on my hand; so I just placed them hoping they wont tip over, as 15 little kids watched me icon_biggrin.gif

Thankfully they stayed in place .

SugarFrosted Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #17 of 21

There have been a few of these threads over the years. Each had good suggestions. Most people don't need half the stuff they have in the kit, but as someone said, if you don't have it, you'll need it.

Think about your path from vehicle to table. Before you get the cake out of the vehicle, walk inside the venue and check out your route. What if you are alone and encounter a door that is shut, but will not stay open? You go to your kit and get out the door stops you have in there. You have no cart and will have to carry the cake along a hallway with obstacles. Move them aside to clear the path. There is an electric cord across the floor and you think you might trip. Use the duct tape in your kit to tape the cord down. The cake table wiggles because one leg is a bit short. If you can't switch tables, use the shims in your kit to level the table. Use the duct tape to tape the shim to the bottom of the leg in case the table needs to be moved. Etc, etc, etc. The list is endless.

See where I am going with this? Think about ALL the possibilities of problems, not just those with the cake. Just think about why things might be on the list, and if an occasion might occur when you might need an item.

Here's my list. Don't laugh. Some things may seem weird, but each has its use.:

Cake Decorator Emergency Kit List
It's not only handy to have along, but absolutely necessary when delivering a Wedding/TieredCake!
Here's some items you may want to throw in a bag:
1.Map to reception/party site
2.Telephone # of site
3.Telephone # of contact person
4.Calculator
5.Contract / invoice / delivery form
6.Bride's top ornament
7.Cutting knife & server set (in case one is not provided)
8.Cutting Chart
9.Extra icing in colors used on cake, bags & tips & couplers
10.Extra Fondant, rolling pin, smoothers & modelling tools
11.Fondant mat and powdered sugar
12.Royal Icing, bags & tips
13.Gumpaste
14.Spatulas
15.Frosting Flowers
16.Luster Dust & Vodka
17.Paintbrushes
18.Fresh, gumpaste or silk flowers/greenery
19.Pearls or Dragees
20.Flower spikes
21.Oasis & a container
22.Picture of the cake
23.Columns/pillars, plus extras (in case of necessary last-minute design changes)
24.Dowels, including sharpened long dowel for center
25.Dowel cutting tool
26.Rubber Mallet for hammering center dowel
27.Chocolate Shavings for between separator plates and cake
28.Stairways & bridges necessary for design
29.Ribbon (a bow can cover a multitude of sins)
30.Tulle (adds 'pouf' & volume if necessary)
31.White plastic tablecloths (available at the dollar store) to cover ugly tables
32.White cloth tablecloth (if you are sure you can get it back)
33.Wire
34.Florist's clay
35.Bases
36.Extra ornament / cake topper
37.Styrofoam meat tray
38.Scissors that can also cut wire
39.Rose nail & scissors
40.Tweezers
41.Toothpicks
42.Meat or kabob skewers
43.Paper towels - regular
44.Paper towels - VIVA (for smoothing)
45.Wax or parchment paper and plastic wrap
46.Wet washcloth in plastic bag or moist wipes
47.A level
48.Shims to correct uneven tables
49.Measuring tape
50.Cameras (2), film, and extra battery
51.Business cards and a holder
52.A congratulations card for the Couple
53.An ink pen & notepad
54.Clear tape & double-sided tape & masking tape
55.Small hot-glue gun
56.Dressmakers pins (for securing fabric when necessary)
57.First Aid Kit incl. Band-aids, Antibiotic ointment & Tylenol
58.Apron
59.Kleenex
60.Garbage bags
61.Latex gloves
62.Doorstops (4)
63.Wear COMFORTABLE shoes
64.Small work table or card table
65.Fountain Items (IF needed)
a. Fountain- check for proper operation before event
b. Extension cords
c. Duct tape (to tape cords down)
d. Distilled water
e. Color for water
f. Flower Holder Ring
g. Cascade set
66.For the Bride or her "agent"
a. Cutting/serving instructions
b. Latex gloves for the server(s)
c. Box for Anniversary cake
d. List of pieces to be returned
e. Box or bag for plates & columns
67.For Non-Wedding Cakes-
a.Birthday Candles that coordinate with cake
b.Matches or lighter

Yes, I over-analyze everything. I have never needed everything on my list, but I have never needed anything I didn't have in my kit. Fill your kit with ALL the things you might need.

marisanovy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 21

Hey, thanks SugarFrosted!!!

I copied and pasted your list. That will help me a lot!!! icon_smile.gif

marisanovy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #19 of 21

Only now I read your list! How does chocolate shavings work between the separators plates and the cakes? I never heard of this method before.

TIA

SugarFrosted Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisanovy

Only now I read your list! How does chocolate shavings work between the separators plates and the cakes? I never heard of this method before.

TIA

I saw a chef at Walt Disney World make a wedding cake. He put white chocolate shavings between the tiers to keep the upper tier from sticking to the lower tier. You can also use chopped/grated candy melts in a shade close to your crusted buttercream or fondant. Some people prefer to use a parchment or or wax paper circle between the tiers. Whatever works for you.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you guys so much! Very useful info and to sugarfrost, all I can say is WoW! You really got it together. I'm hoping to open a bakery soon. Concerning the caddy. I went to walmart and bought a fishing tool box. They come in many different sizes and less expensive. It works great. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%