Stacking Cakes.

Decorating By carlyxgx Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:15am by newbaker55

carlyxgx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlyxgx Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here so I apologise if this is posted in the wrong section ... I am going to be baking and decorating a cake at the weekend, I'm going to be doing a 2 tier cake and was wondering if I am able to stack the cakes or if the bottom cake will sink if I do this?

If so then what is the best way to do a 2 tier cake?

Thanks
Carly

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 6

The top tier must be on a cake board and the bottom tier must have dowels in it to support the upper tier. It is the combination of the cake board and the dowels that support the top cake. Cake alone can not support another cake.

carlyxgx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlyxgx Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your reply, I only bake for fun and have never done a 2 tier cake lol

Am I able to push the dowels into the bottom cake so they can not be seen? If I use a cake board for the top cake will it be seen?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 6

You need to figure out where your top tier will sit on your bottom tier and put you dowels there. I usually use about 5 or 6 dowels per tier depending on how many tiers and how heavy they are.

astone83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astone83 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

Depending on the sizing of the top cake it may not be a problem. I have completed several cakes that had no more support than the bottom cake. one of them being a 6in x 6 in round cake sitting on top of a sheet ( it was for my son's class, a grassy field made of butter cream with a tree stump cake covered in fondant with robins eggs hidden around) and there was no dipping at all.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 6

There is a 'how-to' in the Articles tab on tiered/stacked cakes. It shows step-by-step instructions. I set my dowels just a bit taller so the bottom layer doesn't get the icing smooshed onto the cake board above it.

Make sure your cake board fits the layer it's placed under for no-show. You can always add a decorative border if a little bit of the board doesn't get hidden with your icing icon_smile.gif HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%