Modeling Chocolate Tree

Decorating By am916 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm by pegalter

am916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am916 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all! I need to try to make a tree for a cake and was planning on doing it using modeling chocolate. Any suggestions on the best way to approach it? I was thinking of using cereal treats to sculpt then covering it with the chocolate. The biggest problem is that I'm a bit short on time to do it.

1 reply
pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 2

What kind of tree are you making? Pointy evergreens are a cone scissor snipped to create the impressions of tips of branches; branchey trees like an apple are difficult with modeling chocolate alone because it tends to droop (and sometimes at the least desirable moments!) When doing this kind of tree, you may want to begin with some structure (edible like chocolate sticks or pretzels) or inedible (like toothpicks).

I like my sculptures to be edible, so when using modeling chocolate that needs structure, I paint it with chocolate after I create the shape with modeling chocolate, which helps it to keep it's form. I also like to play with a little cocoa powder accents to make a more interesting texture, appearance.

Peggy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%