I Just Want To Stamp My Feet And Scream Like A Toddler!

Decorating By Jayde Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 2:48pm by Jayde

Jayde Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 11

I DETEST when I have drawn up a sketch and talked out all of the details and then the customer changes their mind just enough time before the event to make it ok. I have my suspicions that it is money related, but I mean sheesh, dont order a $500 kids birthday cake then.

Now I am ticked because I made part of the figures that I needed and now I have no use for them. UGH! That is what I get for trying to work ahead and stay organized.

10 replies
Doug Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 11

looks like we need yet another contract item:

Changes to custom made elements including modeled figures, handmade flowers and bows, toppers or any other custom items to be created by <<insert name of bakery>> can NOT be made once work on the custom items has begun.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 11

yeah, that stinks! I agree with Doug... maybe put something in your contract about no changes to the design being made within 2 weeks or something like that.

Jayde Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 11

I started them at three weeks, but mostly because I personally am so busy with other orders and real life stuff, my son's birthday, family easter stuff, etc. So I started them 3 weeks early, so its my fault too. She just changed everything at 2 and a half weeks before pickup.

I could just kick myself, I knew she was going to have issues with the price because she kept adding stuff to the original design and kept saying, "wow its really that much?" Well yeah when you take a cake for 30 and add GP dinosaur figures, palm trees, a carved volcano spewing red icing lava, a cave, dino bones, and nests with eggs it is going to cost you more than $19.99!

She wants something that is going to match the invitations better, so a 2d dinosaur with spikes coming out of his back in different shades of blue.
LL

millermom Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

Yeah, if you already have the figures started, then I say it's not "just enough time before the event to make it OK."

bonnscakesAZ Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry that sucks!

susgene Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 11

I know how that feels too. You THINK you're getting ahead of the game just slightly, then POW "life" throws the curve. Been there! Sorry!

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 11

Hmmm . . . my contract says no changes to anything (design, flavors, # servings) at three weeks prior. No changes for hand made items at 3 months prior. I'm a hard a$$.

ayerim979 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 11

dont feel bad, I know you say you are busy and I dont know if you have a bakery or not, but if I were you I would make a dummy cake and display all the awesome figurines you made just to show the lady when she comes and picks up the cake . Of course you are not going to tell her "oh lookey here " but have it displayed for her to see.

I know not the mature thing to do. Maybe you can still make the cake and donate it

sweetcakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #10 of 11

i guess she hadn;t paid for her cake either. perhaps getting customers to pay in full at time of ordering would prevent this from happening. If they make changes after that it would be up to you to say whether the cake price goes down or not.

Jayde Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 11

She put down her deposit, she came approx. 2 and a half weeks before the due date to "pay off her balance" and then changed the entire design. Actually when she changed the design, she ended up owing less so she only had to pay a little bit more for the whole darn thing. Plus she ordered cupcakes for the kids so that will just be annoying.

There is a 2 week change time, but I had never considered elongating that for specialty items like figures and flowers that you would want to start way ahead of time. AND I usually dont start things that early, it just been crazy at home with sick kids and having to stay home with them and easter, and family holiday gushiness, plus a birthday in there as well. SO I am taking partial blame THIS time. Next time is a whole different matter. I was mostly just venting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%