Gluten Free ?... Cake...icing...help !

Baking By vlk Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 12:34am by vlk

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone ! looking for some help and some guidance ~

I have a Gluten Free order... Questions:

1. Recipe Gluten Free Icing (is there such a thing? or is icing all ready Gluten Free? how about Fondant?)

2. Do you/I have to clean my oven before I bake this cake? To avoid cross contamination? Sounds werid icon_eek.gif , but I have to ask...

3. I already have a sterilizer for all the utensils and pans prior to baking, and I am not making another cake that day.... whew....

4. Gluten free Cake Mix is sold now in the stores icon_biggrin.gif ... has anyone tried them? Or should I make one from the recipes I have found?

Thanks !! Thanks !! Thanks !!

Vicki

7 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 8

Hi VIcki, can't help you out much with the rest of your questions, but I can tell you that the betty crocker GF mx is great. I brought them for my friend's birthday and noone knew they were GF. lol. The only thing is that the mix only makes about 12 cupcakes. I might try to do a WASC version using rice flour and other modifications and see what happens.

Also and this might not help you much, but Pillsbury vanilla icing is GF and Skippy peanut butter (just in case you're interested for future reference)

Good luck,

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 8

I havent found any GF cake recipe from scratch that I am happy with. I actually like the Betty Crocker GF box mixes, but I havent experimented with many add-ins yet, like a cake extender. They only have vanilla and chocolate, which I have tampered with the vanilla and have turned that into strawberry adding strawberries cut up and the juice from the strawberries. Watch them like a hawk in the oven because they are dry by nature, so they are very easy to overcook.

I do not sterilize my oven, just the untensils, bowls, pans, etc. that I am working with. I do wipe down my counters really well with some bleach water.

Icing is a no brainer, just make sure that all of the ingredients that you are using are GF. Check the vanilla and flavorings, because they too sometimes have wheat in them for thickening. Marshmallows are fine, PS is fine, shortening is fine. I dont have any problems with icing.

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8

Vicki, I just had a gluten free cake order (the Easter cake in my pics) and it came out WONDERFUL! I used the Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix and I bought the bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour. Then, I followed this recipe just substituting the gluten free where necessary:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7538/amazing-chocolate-cake

I also bought some gluten-free Oreo type cookies from Whole Foods and made a cookies-n-cream filling with Rich's bettercreme and the cookies. I used SMBC (but regular buttercream is gluten free) and MMF.

The client LOVED the cake and my kids didn't even know it was gluten free when they ate the cake scraps.

No, you don't have to sterilize your oven. Just make sure your utensils and bowls are very clean, and you can even use the gluten free flour in your pan with some Crisco to keep the cake from sticking.

HTH

Jenn

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

I've heard good things about the "Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Icing" on All Recipes. But I haven't tried it yet. I've tried the Betty Crocker GF cake mix and it was okay. But on a side note, their chocolate chip cookie mix was pretty good. If you can find it King Arthur has GF flour out now. I'm excited to try it, but haven't found it in my area yet.

Just be careful with cross-contamination, but it sounds like you already are. Good luck! Please post back if you find a great GF cake.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 8

I already posted on the exact same thread asking the exact same question, I'm sure there are lots of threads if you do a search. But my favorite gluten free cake is just almonds, orange, sugar and eggs from the planet cake cookbook. The gluten free mixes are a bit of a wierd texture....

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 8

PS - I failed to add that I also use 6oz. of dark chocolate chips in my cake too!

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 8

Wow...thank you. Guys so much.... I knew you would help me! It's a mad matter cake, May 15th. So I have time to experiment.... I will keep you. Posted with what I come up with.

Thanks again.....Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%