Do I Offer A Partial Refund?

Business By karateka Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 1:44pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 19

I took an order that included 24 cupcakes decorated like popcorn, with wrappers to make them look like popcorn buckets. She asked if I could do them in buttercream and I refused, since I really didn't think it would look nice. She said that was fine, she wanted them to look nice. I charged her $4.25 each since they were going to be a lot of work.

I since found a picture here on CC that has popcorn cupcakes done in buttercream. I went ahead and did hers that way, and they look great (IMO).

My issue: Not sure how long fondant would have taken me, but I baked and decorated these in 5 hours.

Do you think I should offer her a refund of some of the cost? I didn't use any fondant, but did use a truckload of buttercream. I charged her for the cost of the wrappers. She also ordered a 9in round decorated like a carnival tent (with the peaked top) and a smash cake. It's an expensive order.

I'd just like to be fair to her. She isn't aware yet that I was able to use buttercream.

18 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 19

What would you charge for buttercream?? And now that you have made them would you up charge from you bc price if you had to do them again? Your answer here should give you your answer, to keep it fair for both you and your client.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 19

as a customer I would feel really hurt, but only if you never told me. As a decorator I would tell her you were in fact able to make them look nice with butter cream, but b/c they required sooo much frosting you can only offer her a discount of $___?? Maybe charge her in between buttercream and fondant?

ecstaticjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecstaticjellybean Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:40am
post #4 of 19

I think any offer of a discount would be really appreciated, even if it wasn't a lot, its a lot more than a lot of businesses would offer.

As a customer, I would also then want to recommend you to my friends, and use you again

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:46am
post #5 of 19

Its the right thing to do....

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 19

Yep, you priced her for one thing, made another. Turn the question around, what would YOU feel about it if you were the customer.

karateka Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks....I'm thinking I'll offer $20.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 19

I would charge what you would normally charge for buttercream. The original price was to be with fondant. Of course, only you know how much work went into it so definitely get your money out of it. You don't want her to feel cheated especially if you changed the icing up on her. icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Thanks....I'm thinking I'll offer $20.

I think instead of offering her a lump sum of $20, I would phrase it as an amount off per cupcake. Not that it makes a big difference to you but I feel that telling her you were able to reduce the price of each cupcake by $1 (or whatever you decide) sounds like more in the big picture.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 19

I agree, tell her that because fondant wasn't used you were able to reduce the cost per cupcake from $4.25 to $3.50 (this is $.75 off per cupcake X 24 cupcakes =$18.00)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 19

Did you charge her extra because (initially you thought....)they were to be done in fondant?

ETA: If you used extra amount of buttercream than you would've normally...no.

"Hey, I was able (whatever) to make them using buttercream like you wanted."

and leave it at that.

karateka Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 19

KHalstead: That is exactly what I was going to do, then just rounded up to $20 instead of 18 because I can only get $20's from the ATM.

all4cake: That was what I was wondering.....I didn't charge more because of the fondant per se...just because it was going to be time consuming to make all those popcorn pieces and paint them, etc. Which it still was....but I wasn't sure how long fondant would have taken for sure since I haven't done them in fondant.

As it turned out, it cost me about 2 hours less than I budgeted (guessed) for, so I told her that, and that it rounded out to me owing her $20. She thanked me for telling her all that, but I should just keep it as a "bonus".

Thanks to all who responded!

superdobbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdobbers Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 19

Aww what a lovely customer- she (rightly) must have loved the cake and appreciated all your hard work. You did the right thing! thumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 19

She hasn't even seen them yet....she picks up @ 7pm

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #15 of 19

All's well...

kokopellimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopellimom Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 19

They turned out SO cute! The popcorn looks wonderfully real!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #17 of 19

I love them!! you did a great job and I'm sure your customer's going to be thrilled.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for making these with buttercream? TIA,

Rosie

ecstaticjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecstaticjellybean Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:11am
post #18 of 19

great result - now your consience is clear and she'll go and tell all her friends how honest you are - more orders coming your way!

karateka Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks, everyone!

The girl who did them told how in the picture description. However, I can't find the picture....too many pics to go through!

I used a 12 round tip to make the main bulbous part of the popcorn, then used a tip 80 to make the "petals" that fan out and have the kernel attatched. I hand painted that kernel on with brown paste color mixed with some yellow and diluted a bit with vodka. Then I airbrushed them yellow, but not uniformly, so it looked like butter was drizzled on. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%