Cake Decorating Tools

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm by ZoesMum

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 17

I thought it might be good to find out what everyones favourite tool for cake decorating/baking was and why? (i could not find a post anywhere) I'm pretty new to decorating and love seeing all the different tools everyone uses icon_smile.gif
I must say mine at the moment is my new rolling pins made from PVC pipe.. ( an idea i got from CC!) So much cheaper than normal rolling pins, i can get them in almost any size and length i want, and they are food and dishwasher safe!
Hope that everyone posts their great tools to share with everyone icon_smile.gif
Rach icon_smile.gif

16 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 17

Hard to say which "one" is my favorite but Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder is certainly in the top five.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 17

I would have to say my kitchen aid pro 600 that I recently acquired from craigs list with only 3 uses in its life! I was so lucky to see the post - helps me a bundle.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 17

Right now, I love my metal petal/leaf cutters, and my metal ball tool which has interchangeable sizes that fit into the base. I'm a Gemini though, so that can change! (Ha-ha!) icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 17

I agree with Tclanton, my ka is for sure, then it is the pasta attachment to roll my fondant

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 17

My 6 Qt. Stainless Steel Kitchen Aid.... LOVE IT!!

My New Silicone Flower and Leave Formers/Molds
" " Embossing/Pattern Rolling Pins
" " Ateco Silicone Mat

Can't Wait to add to the list:

MY NEW CRICUT CAKE!
A Sheeter (even the small one that Ron Ben used in his demos)

icon_smile.gif

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #7 of 17

I just got an airbrush system (kopykake) for Christmas this year, super excited about it and love it so far!!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #8 of 17

My set of gumpaste tools. The little pallet knife and the other tools come in so handy for those tight spots where your fingers are too big or if you need to make some sort of detail and ,voila - you have these great tools.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #9 of 17

My small palette knife I bought from Sugarshack. I would be lost without it! For modeling, can't live without my veining tool, ball tool and pin tool.

wildwolves Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 17

its great to hear what everyone is using.. I don't have a lot of equipment yet so its giving me heaps of ideas icon_biggrin.gif I must say that i love my KA as well.. best thing i ever bought!

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #11 of 17

I love my new Lace Flower Cutter Set by Orchard Products, and although I thought I wasn't going to like it initially, turns out my new Ateco fondant mat is great!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #12 of 17

I'd have to say that I have many favorites icon_smile.gif but I just got a flower mold by First Impressions molds and I LOVE IT...I didn't think it was going to be so easy to use but it was...and it came with about 7 other little flowers to do...I totally love it!!

BTW, ZoesMum I haven't seen a Lace Flower Cutter did you get it at GSA? could you tell how it looks? thank you!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #13 of 17

This may seem weird.

The off-set spatula.

The bakery I work at doesn't have them. They only have the straight ones, which makes smoothing with them impossible. I have a couple off-set ones at home and they are my absolute favorite! You never realize how awesome the most basic tools are until you can't use them.

ZoesMum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 17

Rosie2 - yes, I got them from Global Sugar Arts. They are a little fiddly to work with, but I love the results! Here is a pick of the cutters and the cake I used them on!
LL
LL

wildwolves Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:26am
post #15 of 17

Those cutters are unreal! And i must say Zoesmum that cake is soo beautiful!

HauteCoutureCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HauteCoutureCookies Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:56am
post #16 of 17

I really like using my textured rolling pins on fondant and gumpaste. I'm buying the KA 600 so that will probably be a new fav... I also like using my. Lace and pearl molds too.

ZoesMum Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks wildwolves! The cutters were a little fiddly to work with (had to roll really thin for the smaller flowers), and I was lucky I made extra in case of breakage (I broke two just trying to place them!), but I was really pleased with the final result. I will be using these cutters I lot I think!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%