Please Critique My Website

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 2:05pm by Stitches

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

I am 100% legal and licensed, I work out of a comissary kitchen. I am just starting out and would love some feedback on my site. Please don't hold back, I want the good, the bad and the ugly!

I was considering changing the Flavor Section to show the cupcake flavors in more detail but am concerned about putting too much info.

Also, thinking about splitting up the photos by category (weddings, bdays, baby shower...)

www.fhcakes.com/

Thank everyone icon_wink.gif

8 replies
smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 9

Should there be a picture to the left? It feels like there should be something there but maybe is isn't loading for me? Other than that I think it looks great except that "photo's" should be "photos".... icon_biggrin.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 9

Hi! I also agree with the front page looking like it's missing something to the right.

The photo's as the PP noted. It might even sound better as gallery.

Cakes should have separate categories: wedding, kids, special occasions

I also noted you have some copyrighted characters in your cakes. Might get you in trouble, especially because Disney is known for suing for stuff like that.

on the flavor page on cupcakes it should be triple not tripple

Might be my computer but is the font on the FAQ very small? I could hardly read it.

Also on the FAQ page- you state that you only offer tastings for wedding cakes. Is that for ALL wedding cakes? remember you might have a wedding cake for 50 people. Would you offer a tasting for that amount of servings?

I think you're on the right track with your website and I love your cakes. Good luck!!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 9

It looks good just make the already noted things and it will be terrific

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

Love it! Looks great... but remove all character cakes... they will get you in trouble unless you have a copywright agreement.

Good Luck!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9

I like your website, too. This is a pet peeve of mine, though...on your flavors page there are spacing inconsistencies between the headings and the lists and the column of cupcake flavors does not line up uniformly. There are also capitalization errors on the FAQ page.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9

I think it's important to have a really great cake pic on your home page, otherwise what's going to grab the client and draw them in? You have some great pictures, I would say replace the "Stressed..." graphic with one of your cakes.

Also, since you asked for honest feedback, I personally don't care for your tag line "Big or small, I do it all". I think it sounds cheesy and negates your elegantly-written home page introduction.

Finally, you have some amazing sounding cupcakes, but your regular cakes sound a bit restrictive (only four flavours). If I was the customer I would wonder why I couldn't have one of those flavours for my cake.

Sorry if this sounds negative. I really like your colour scheme. It really pops! And your text is nicely written. Good job!

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 9

Thank you to everyone who helped, it was much appreciated. I have made some changes based on all of your suggestions, please take a moment to go review.

Again thank you so very much, it really helps to have people so willing to give their assistance.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 9

The one thing that stands out to me is your lack of wedding cake pictures. Wedding cakes are the most profitable items you can sell..........unless your not interested in doing them? I would buy some dummy cakes and decorate them so I could add about 12 traditional looking wedding cake photographs to my album.....if I was you. And, I'd place that category higher up on the page listing categories.

Over all, you look good!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%