How Do I Make The Cap For Graduation Out Of Cake

Decorating By utonia Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm by CHoxie

utonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
utonia Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 3

How do I make the cap for a graduation cake out of cake.

2 replies
superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Utonia - welcome to CC!

I tried one last year - I found a lot of useful hints by searching the Galleries and looking at the descriptions and comments, and also searching the forums for similar topics (try Google - "graduation cap cake, cake central")

Check my photos for mine, but there are plenty on here that are so much better. I think most people use the Wilton Wondermold pan to get the round part - I just baked my cake in a Pyrex bowl because I don't have the pan. You could always carve some stacked round cakes to get the dome shape as well.

For the top (square) mortarboard, I used a fondant/GP mix, but you can see it is drooping a bit even though I let it dry for a long time. I have another one to do this summer so next time I will follow CC advice and cover a piece of cardboard with fondant instead. HTH!

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 3

I used small graduation caps on my cakes as accents. The caps themselves were made from a small bowl shaped pan, with a flat cut on them, covered in fondant. Then i cut a square out of cardboard for the top of the cap, covered that in fondant. The rope and tassel were also made from fondant.

You can see them in my photos also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%