Floral Separators?

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 3:29am by prettycakes

prettycakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 3

I am creating a tiered cake that is separated by flowers. My question is, what is the best way to incorporate the flowers between the tiers? Should I arrange the flowers in a foam block before assembly or can I use some spike pillars to separate the cakes and place the flowers to fill the area?

I am using silk flowers because I can not get nice organic flowers in my area for a reasonable price.

I have seen cakes like this executed beautifully and then I have seen some that look like there is not enough flowers. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 3

I made one of these once- it was almost a disaster we used real flowers and told the florist what we were doing and that we would need lots of flowers for it. Somehow 'lots' to us meant 'several' to the florist. Anyway, we (I had help) ended up robbing the floral arrangements that were decorating the reception hall- a couple from here and a couple from there until we had enough. Without completely depleting the arrangements we ended up with a nice looking cake!

All that to say, when I did it, I used the pillars. Worked great, just make sure you have more flowers than you think you will need! If the ones you saw looked like they didn't have enough, it is probably because they didn't.

prettycakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #3 of 3

Okay, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who the florist just leaves a pile of flowers to arrange for the cake! I get so frustrated with that! Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%