Help Carving Cake: Yoshi's Bulbous Nose

Decorating By melamel Updated 6 May 2010 , 12:32am by melamel

melamel Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 9

My friend's graduation is coming up and I wanted to make a Yoshi cake for her but I'm not sure what to do about his big, bulbous nose. I'm scared it might be too heavy and fall off or he might be too front-heavy and fall forward. Any ideas or suggestions? Should I just use RKT for the nose? Would it still be too heavy?

I'm so new to this so any advice would really be helpful. Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

8 replies
eccl1-12 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 9

I just googled Yoshi because I was unfamiliar with the character- I was thinking yoda(haha). Anyway, Yoshi's nose looks pretty round, what about just covering a styrofoam ball in fondant and attatching it to the cake? I suppose it depends a bit on what position you are making yoshi in, but maybe it would work. Of course that is assuming you are using fondant on the rest of the cake?

JCE62108 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 9

How about just making the body in cake and the whole head with rice krispie treats? It seems like that is how a lot of people make these 3d characters. It's easier to mold RKT than cake, that's for sure. I made a whole cat out of RKT once. If I were doing the cake, that is how I would do it. Also, I ALWAYS support my cake every 4", just like any other stacked cakes. I dont know how big this guy is gonna be, but say he's 12 inches tall. Two cakes will be his body, and the RKT his head. Id use support between the second and first cake, and also between the head and second cake. That way you don't have to worry about the weight of that giant RKC crushing everything. Same if you use foam. Still support it. Only because fondant is pretty heavy and can still crush your cake. Good luck!!!

EDIT: just a note I forgot to add. I would not do just the nose in RKT. no matter how much you dowel it to the cake, it will probably want to fall off. If you do the WHOLE head in RKT, then it will be a lot more stable. Squeeze those RKT together and get it nice and packed. Maybe refridgerate it for a second before putting the fondant on. When the fondant starts to dry it will probably hold everything together just fine.

This is just how I would do it, Id be curious to see what others have to say. icon_smile.gif

melamel Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 9

eccl1-12: I would love to make Yoshi standing up but I wouldn't know how to go about doing that so he'll just have to sit up. I wish his nose wasn't so huge, though lol

JCE62108: Wow, that's very helpful! Thank you! Another question, do you just use cake boards between each cake, stack the cakes, ice them, then put fondant over it? If there are cake boards between each cake and underneath the fondant, is it awkward cutting the cake to eat it? just curious

EDIT: Also, what would you suggest for the tail? Should that be cake or RKT?

JCE62108 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 9

You could do the tail either way. If it were me, Id just make some extra RKT for the tail instead of worrying about baking a little piece of cake just for the tail.

For supports, I use the bakery crafts single plate system (SPS). You have to have the dowels going down inside the cake. Just a board wont support anything. The way this support system works, is there is a plastic plate in which (4) 4" colums attach to the bottom. This is why you make sure all your cakes are 4" tall, no more or else the weight of the cakes on top will squish the bottom cake. The idea is that each cake is resting on the support and NOT on the cake below it. There is a cardboad the same size as the plastic plate that you will put your cake on. The plate and legs go in the bottom tier, then you just place the cake with the cardboard on top of the plate. There is a little knob in the center of the plastic plate. You have to make sure that before you put the cake on the cardboard, you center the cardboard on the plate and puncture it. If you dont do this ahead of time, it will be very difficult to do it once the cake is on the cardboard.

If you cannot get ahold of the SPS plates and colums, you can just stick four 4" dowels in each cake and rest a cardboard on top, then put your cake on top of that, and so on for each tier. I highly recommend the bakery crafts plates though. I can tell you where to get them if you are interested. Its nice because they are cheap and meant to be disposable.

I stack carved cakes just like I do any other cake. It's actually easier to serve this way because when you cut down, instead of cutting a 12" tall piece of cake, your only going to cut 4" and then the board will stop you, so you will have normal sized slices.

When I do this I stack all my cakes (with proper supports) and cover the whole cake with fondant. Then when it comes time to serve it I measure up from the bottom 4" and stick a knife in the cake, then feel for where the board is. Then I cut around the fondant in a circle around the cake, then I can cut normal slices. Carved cakes are more complicated to serve, but this is what I have found works for me. It's a little akward, but I dont think there is a much easier way. If there is I hope someone posts it!

I hope I explained the supporting process ok. If your not sure how to support cakes, there are a few tutorials on this site that may be helpful. Always use the dowels though. Boards by themselves dont support anything.

OMG sorry for all that. Didnt mean to write a book, guys. lol. I hope it helped though and wasnt me just rambling on again.

Good luck hon and if you need to you can always PM me.

melamel Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 9

No need to be sorry! I need every piece of insight I can get! Where is the best place to buy the bakery crafts plates?

Makeitmemorable Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 9

Hi, I just recently did a 3D Luigi for my son and he also shares the huge nose problem (attached)...not quite as large as Yoshi's though - what is it with the super mario characters and their noses ! LOL

I attached his nose with a wooden skewer once it was fully dry but if I had my time again and if I was doing Yoshi, I would make his nose foam because it will be very heavy.

Good Luck, icon_wink.gif

melamel Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

what is it with the super mario characters and their noses !

lol I completely agree.

And your Luigi is perfect! What do you think, though, should I use a soft foam ball or a styrofoam ball?

melamel Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #9 of 9

I made my friend's graduation cake this weekend and she loved it! I ended up making Yoshi out of RKT because I realized she wouldn't enjoy tearing apart Yoshi if he was the actual cake. Things worked out well; Yoshi's nose is a styrofoam ball and it was weightless so I didn't have to worry about Yoshi toppling over. The only problem I had was with my blue fondant, which I somehow messed up. It started crumbling and wouldn't cooperate no matter what I did. And it was too late in the night for me to do anything but use it.

Anyways, here it is! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%