Droopy Cake- Need Help

Decorating By Edee Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm by Edee

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, I was making a gift bag cake. It was 4- 2" layers with icing in the middle of each layer. I covered the whole thing in mmf and decorated, by that night the whole back side was drooping. So much that it started tearing on the sides- so my question is how do you get it not to droop? Does anyone put dowel rods in it to hold it in place? What to do?

Here is a link to my cake, for some reason i couldn't get it posted right
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1635101

you can see in the picture- its starting to sag but by the next day, I was literally pushing it back up every few minutes. Seems back top heavy

Help!

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like it was a support problem...did you put dowels in the first 2 layers before stacking the other 2 (on a cake board) on top? It could also be due to the cake not setteling before the fondant was applied.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 6

I have offically heart that any cake with more then 2 layers need to have a cake board and supports part way through it.

I just made tree cake with 3 layers thinking it would be a big deal......well it drooped. Luckily it was tree and still looked natural to the cake but when I looked at it, that was all I could see.

Edee Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

I didn't have any support in the middle. I just stacked 4 cakes with icing in the middle.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

I didn't have any support in the middle. I just stacked 4 cakes with icing in the middle.

Well that's your problem. Cakes need support every 4"

Edee Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 6

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%