Whats In Your Carrot Cake

Baking By sweetcakes Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 12:30am by prterrell

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 19

when you have a request to do carrot cake do you just make it or ask them if they want raisins and or nuts in it too? There are so many variations of carrot cake im not sure which one would be the traditional one, the one with just carrots, or with nuts, pineapple, its boggling. Needless to say i have an order for carrot cake 12x18 size and need a recipe that will bake well in this size pan and preferrable not crumble when cut. got any suggestions??

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 19

Carrots.
No raisins. No nuts. I even took out the pineapple.

Just carrots.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Carrots.
No raisins. No nuts. I even took out the pineapple.

Just carrots.

Ditto! That's the original cake.

The other variations are like carrot cake with a hummingbird cake twist. thumbsdown.gif

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 19

What I like to do is soak raisins in hot water then put them in the blender to chop them into tiny bits, that way you don't get big chunks of raisins.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 19

I would definitely ask what inclusions they want. For me.... I hate nuts in cakes and fudge. If they have some similar dislike and assume you'll not be using it and you do, they will be disappointed. Also, if they love nuts or raisins or pineapple in their carrot cake and assume you'll be using it and don't, they'll be disappointed.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 19

carrots (and LOTS of them... two pounds for two nine inch layers), granulated sugar, brown sugar, AP flour, unsalted butter, BP, BS, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, salt

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 19

My recipe includes some shredded sweet potato and apple in addition to the carrots. You can't taste either one, but it really adds depth. It's from a Mrs Field's cookbook. Whether I add nuts or don't depends on the person who the cake is for.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 19

no raisins, no nuts, no pineapple..............just carrots, about 2 cups of shredded (by hand or food processor not the preshredded ones in the store) per batch of cake......also the normal spices, lots of cinnamon, some ginger, and nutmeg.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 19

This is the recipe that I absolutely love. I make a cream cheese frosting for it though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/spiced-walnut-carrot-cake-with-pineapple-recipe/index.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 19

mine is like karmastew's. if the client wants their raisins, nuts, and pineapple, then that is exactly what i make them. i always ask. they are paying for what they want.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 19

mine is Carrots, oranges, pecans, cinnamon.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 19

It's a secret, sorry! But mine is in fact the world's best. icon_biggrin.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 19

I have 6 or 7 carrot cake recipes so it all depends on which one they ask for but they all contain lots of CARROT icon_lol.gif

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 19

Pineapple???!!! That must be regional. Carrot cake is my favorite and I've had it from many different bakeries and restaruants. Some have nuts, I have heard of raisins before, but never tasted a carrot cake with them, but I have never even heard of pineapple. That sounds very strange to me. Is that a northern thing? I live in TX.

My second favorite cake is Italian Creme Cake. Am I right to assume that always has nuts. I've never thought to clarify things like nuts or no nuts. Of couse I only make cakes for my kids and family - rarely can I talk them in to something besides white, chocolate, or strawberry.

sweetcakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #15 of 19

Thank you, That was all very helpful. I would do just carrots too, but then like some of you said people all have a differant view of what goes in a carrot cake. I think i will keep mine just carrots too, and if they want the other then call it a hummingbird cake, would that be right?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 19

Holly, I'm in Texas and have heard of pineapple in it, so I don't think it is a northern thing, just something different.

Sweetcakes, I think humming bird cakes have the addition of mashed banana too.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

It's a secret, sorry! But mine is in fact the world's best. icon_biggrin.gif

Mine is the world's best. How did you get it? icon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

sweetcakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 19

does your carrot cake sink a little in the middle after taking it out? today i made it, a 11x15 cake, rose great, almost to the top of the pan, but right when it looked about done and i was to take it out it sunk a little. if it doesn;t sink any more then i think i will be ok, but if it does, i may have to rebake,icon_sad.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #19 of 19

Hummingbird cake doesn't contain carrot. Instead, it has mashed bananna.

If you want to offer a just carrot carrot cake and one with nuts and raisins, you could call one carrot cake and one loaded carrot cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%