Cake Boards

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm by Skidoochic

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 14

I have always used Wilton cake boards for my cakes, but it takes three boards for 1/2 sheet and 4 or more boards for a full sheet cake. I was looking at brp's website for cake boards and was wondering if anyone uses those boards and if so, which ones? The single corrugated or the double, already wrapped corrugated? If so- do you still have to double or triple them up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
dar4657 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dar4657 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 14

I have found 1/2" foam core works really well! If you go to a hobby shop they will cut it to your dimensions - I have not tried asking for a round yet, but they are very sturdy. I will sometimes cover with freezer wrap and decorate the edge with ribbon.

Skidoochic Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks dar! Anyone else have any thoughts? I don't think my local Hobby Lobby would be happy cutting 100s of boards for me, so I don't think the foamboard solution will work for me - at least most of the time. I will definately try it for some family cakes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 14

I use foam core for larger cakes. No, Hobby Lobby won't cut them for you, but you can easily cut them with an exacto knife or any other sharp blade.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 14

I have ordered boards from brp. I really like them. They are quality, standard boards like used at a bakery. If you have a heavy cake, you need to use "drums" instead of boards. I think they also sell those at brp. If you buy using their minimum, they are very inexpensive.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 14

I use foam core also. I actually cut mine with an electric knife and it works great.

Kosha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kosha Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 14

what is foam core and where can I find it?

Skidoochic Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 14

[quote="ddaigle"]I have ordered boards from brp. I really like them. They are quality, standard boards like used at a bakery. If you have a heavy cake, you need to use "drums" instead of boards. I think they also sell those at brp. If you buy using their minimum, they are very inexpensive.[/quote

Which ones are the drums? Are they the double-corragated something or others? '

Thanks everyone!

dar4657 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dar4657 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 14

Wow TexasSugar I've never had any problem having foam core cut at Hobby Lobby - they may charge 50 cents per cut but they were very nice about doing it and I reuse the boards. Maybe it's different by store?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 14

My Hobby Lobby will cut them as well.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 14

Skidoochic: They are labeled as "drums". They are 1/2" thick. They don't have as many sizes availabe of drums at brp. Because of their high minimums, I buy my drums at my local party store.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 14

I order 1/2" foam core boards from ArtSupply.com You still need to cut them to whatever size you need. I believe the box contains 12 large boards.

Skidoochic Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks Debbi - I found them, but I didn't see any sheet cake sizes and they are too pricey for me. I guess I will check out the foam core option or just keeping using several boards. Thanks all! icon_smile.gif

Skidoochic Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 14

SHould have asked this before- if you use foam core do you still cover the board with foil or fondant or anything?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%