Cutting Lettering From Fondant

Decorating By sweetfavs Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm by jhay

sweetfavs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetfavs Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 8

I need help. I use marshmallow fondant and I need to cut some specific style lettering out of it. When I try to cut it with an exacto knife the fondant starts to bunch up. I see such great cutouts here on this website all the time, can someone please tell me the secret?

7 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

Position the blade and cut straight down, move to the next area and repeat. Draging pulls and bunches and leaves a ragged edge.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 8

Make sure you have a new blade on your exacto too. Also, I like to roll my fondant a little thicker for shapes or letters than I would when I cover cakes.

If it's still tearing, try working a little corn starch into it to make it less pliable.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 8

you can also roll your fondant out and then pop it in the freezer so it firms up, then take it out and cut.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:13am
post #5 of 8

I need help with this, too. Thanks for asking the question! When you say "cut straight down" is the motion like sawing?
I'm picturing putting the blade into the fondant. Ok, that's one small cut. How do I move it to keep cutting?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 8

Position and apply pressure. One motion, no sawing. I like the freezer idea. I can only see one drawback. The sweating as it defrosts may melt a delicate piece.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 8

I'm curious. everyone talks about using the xacto for this, but xacto makes a bunch of blades. Which blade do you find works the best for cutting letters out of fondant?

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 8

The slanted tip blade works well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%