Really Cool Cupcake Co

Baking By EatSomeCake Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 1:13am by CookieMakinMomma

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 11

www.candycakes.com

I came upon this uk based company and thought I'd share because their cupcakes ares o cute! Looks like they frost them normally and then dip each flavor in different colored candy melts.
LL

10 replies
KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 11

I've been to their Covent Garden location. The shop itself was really quirky and cute, but my cupcake was gross. Two small bites and in the trash it went.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 11

Karmastew..........did you feel like that'swhat it was? A cupcake iced and then dipped into candy melts???

They look adorable, and I love the funky look of the shop and their lil' boxes too!

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think that it was melts (which are gross enough as is).... it was more like some kind of pourable fondant.

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 11

yup, that's fondant.
I sometimes make cupcakes like that and they have a super shiny smooth texture. I just put some fondant in the microwave and add little bits of water at a time. I microwave it in increments of 10-20 seconds at a time, stir and check for a loose soupy consistency. Once ready, I dip the cupcake to the rim of the wrapper and set them to dry.
If it starts thickening, just put the container back in the microwave another 10-20 seconds.
Its super easy and your cupcakes will look beautiful.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 11

I just did that to some mini cupcakes but they were only shine before it was completely set up. Once set up I think it looke like normal fondant.......they tasted yummy though! hmmm
LL

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 11

really?
mine always turn out shiny

EatSomeCake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 11

Cool! I really thought they were dipped in the candy melts but the fondant makes perfect sense. I'm going to try to do that for my daughter's bday party which is the Sat. I hope they turn out shiny.

Thanks for the fondant technique!

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 11

I live in London and I walked past their shop window - it's filled with cute looking cupcakes, but BEWARE they only look cute, but I've heard they taste awful. Also, I have no faith that they would actually sell all of the cupcakes in their window every day, so I don't think freshness is a priority. Cupcakes are a new thing here in the UK (I'm from Canada though) - they have something here called a fairy cake that are smaller, flatter and denser than a cupcake and are covered with a poured royal icing type covering. The Candy cakes in the picture are a bit of a hybrid of a cupcake and a fairy cake, BUT I've been told they are actually muffins covered in the poured icing and then topped with a cute marhmallow deocration. Here are some of the reviews on the place if your interested: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/candy-cakes-london-3

EatSomeCake Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #10 of 11

Thanks Roxybc, I read the reviews too. Too bad they don't live up to their cuteness. It's a great idea for someone to do it better with the taste.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:13am
post #11 of 11

Holy cow their list of "happy customers" includes... wait for it... Nelson Mandela! Talk about random! Oh, and he's just two pictures over from Madonna! Wow...

(BTW this is halfway down on their custom cakes page)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%