Monthly Cookie Club - April 2010

Baking By bonniebakes Updated 2 May 2010 , 12:04am by drakegore

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #61 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

Everyone is welcome to use the stacked-cookie idea. (Not my idea, actually. I have seen a Wilton Christmas tree set -- you use stars in graduated sizes to make a 3-D Christmas tree. As I recall, you cut two of each size and then stack them so that the points of one fall halfway between the points of the other.)

I'm having such a "duh" moment... 2 of each size! That makes so much sense! I tried those last year and it was a total mess... worst tree I've ever seen! and I had been so excited to try it, too... but I only used one of each size! Poor thing... it looked like someone had smashed it....

thanks endymion - now I have a reason to try again next year!

bonniebakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #62 of 205

cookiedoh - what about making the meringue "fluffy" by using thicker RI...? I've done that on cupcake cookies before and if it's thick enough you can still see the piping lines.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #63 of 205

I'm not a cookie -er but I am loving reading this tread. I do have a suggestions though. Stacked cookies seem to have become quite the rage: How about if you use the stacked cookies for next months theme?!?

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #64 of 205

Endymion - Alrighty....I'll give it a whirl. I'm just not that fancy with the piping skills. That's why all my pics are mostly a rolled icing. icon_smile.gif

I have a cut out cookie session coming up, I'll reserve a cookie or two for something. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the positive thoughts!!!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #65 of 205

Thanks everyone for the great "fluffy" ideas! I will definitely be giving some of them a try. I don't have a torch or an airbrush, so I'll have to try some of the other ideas. But I loved the toasting fondant idea. Maybe I can rustle up a torch somewhere! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:33pm
post #66 of 205

ok, toasted marshmallows on a cookie?? Am I the only one that wants toasted marshmallows now?? How amazing would that taste on a cookie?? Wonder how amazing it would be on a lemon cookie?? Like a lemon meringue pie shaped cookie that actually tasted like a lemon meringue pie! Oh give me some PIE!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, I've been dieting for 3 weeks lol)

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #67 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

ok, toasted marshmallows on a cookie?? Am I the only one that wants toasted marshmallows now??

I probably shouldn't even admit this icon_redface.gif , but I had a few leftover marshmallows in the cupboard that I was spring cleaning the other day. They were close to going stale, so I skewered them up and toasted them over the gas stove. I hadn't had them in years, and they were sooooo good!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm
post #68 of 205
Quote:
Quote:

cookiedoh - what about making the meringue "fluffy" by using thicker RI I've done that on cupcake cookies before and if it's thick enough you can still see the piping lines.

Bingo!!! Bonnie has got a great idea!!! thumbs_up.gif I wasn't even thinking! I do this with some of my cupcake cookies and it works really well. Kudos to Bonnie for being more awake then I am!

Now I am dying to do a lemon meringue cookie. My kind is going a mile a minute! Oh, well... back to soccer balls! icon_lol.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #69 of 205
Quote:

...Like a lemon meringue pie shaped cookie that actually tasted like a lemon meringue pie! Oh give me some PIE!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, I've been dieting for 3 weeks lol)

They do taste like lemon thumbs_up.gif And I feel your pain. I've been dieting, too. I had to take the cookies to work to get them out of my house! (No, I would never sit and eat all the cookies after the kids went to bed...you must be talking about someone else icon_redface.gif )

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:55pm
post #70 of 205

You guys are too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I, too, am now going to have to try to make me some of those lemon pie cookies. (YUM!)

Ate the birdbath (in stages) yesterday and it was really too over-the-top sweet with all that frosting. If I make it again, I'll cut the sugar in the cookie recipe to compensate for the amount of frosting.

Now I'm off to buy marshmallows (and maybe a blow torch???) icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #71 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

ok, toasted marshmallows on a cookie?? Am I the only one that wants toasted marshmallows now??

I probably shouldn't even admit this icon_redface.gif , but I had a few leftover marshmallows in the cupboard that I was spring cleaning the other day. They were close to going stale, so I skewered them up and toasted them over the gas stove. I hadn't had them in years, and they were sooooo good!!

I LOVE stale marshmallows............I've got some peeps from Easter that are almost ready to eat......they gotta be good and stale and chewy.mmmmmmmmmmmmm only way to eat em'

We go camping every summer and we always have like 15 bags of marshmallows in our camper LOL when the kids are in bed DH and I sit by the fire eating marshmallows and just talking.....my favorite time....maybe the marshmallows remind me of it?? OR maybe they are just REALLY good!!!! mmmmmmmmm marshmallows..............*droooooooooooollllllll* icon_biggrin.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #72 of 205
Quote:

ok, toasted marshmallows on a cookie?? Am I the only one that wants toasted marshmallows now?? How amazing would that taste on a cookie?? Wonder how amazing it would be on a lemon cookie?? Like a lemon meringue pie shaped cookie that actually tasted like a lemon meringue pie! Oh give me some PIE!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, I've been dieting for 3 weeks lol)

OMG.....that sounds super YUM icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #73 of 205
Quote:

I totally want toasted marshmallows!

I've been thinking about doing pie cookies since I did my pie cupcakes for the VA show last month. I think If you bake a cookie "crust" in one of those disposable pie tins it will come out great. Then when it's cool it should come out easily enough.. I think it would be soooooo yummy filled with lemon curd, chocolate pudding, cherries.... so many options!!

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my "to-do" list....

endymion Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #74 of 205

What a neat idea, bonnie! Would you make the cookie the regular depth of the pie pan, or shallower to hold less filling than a real pie?

You know those cookies with jam in the middle? (...Are they called thumbprints?...) Maybe you could bake the jam on, like those, and then put a latticed cookie over the top? How fun!!!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #75 of 205

mmmmm, i have graham crackers and marshmallows, anyone wanna bring over the hershey's chocolate?

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #76 of 205

ok, we totally need a "pie" month for the cookie club lol

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #77 of 205

i'm with you Khalstead

EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #78 of 205

Is pie broad enough? Could you do "food" in general?

I'm not mondo creative with these types of designs so maybe there are enough pies to go around. But, I'd love to see a pizza cookie! Could somebody do a piece of fried chicken? Oh, my - plate of spaghetti with meatball?

Yes, the food would be very confusing. You'd see pizza & taste sweet fabulousness. But, it would be neat to see what everyone else can do. I'll watch...k?

Ha ha ha....

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #79 of 205

EveMarie, you are very funny. The problem with having that as a monthly theme is that since i'm craving the lemon meringue pie from that cookie idea really badly, i'm afraid i'll crave everything else and well..............there goes the diet!lol

endymion Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #80 of 205

I think the cookie club has already blown my diet! icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #81 of 205

You're right. Just getting into the baking and decorating cost me my diet! But.........i can't let it go. I'm enjoying myself and learning way too much!

bonniebakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #82 of 205
Quote:

What a neat idea, bonnie! Would you make the cookie the regular depth of the pie pan, or shallower to hold less filling than a real pie?

You know those cookies with jam in the middle? (...Are they called thumbprints?...) Maybe you could bake the jam on, like those, and then put a latticed cookie over the top? How fun!!!

I don't really know... it's currently only a thought in my head (and not one I've tried to see if it will work). But those little tins are only about an inch deep, so I guess you could make the cookie part more of a "crust' and have a lot of filling or make the cookie dough thicker than normal. Now I'm excited to try it, but I'm working on my "spring" cookies, so it will have to wait!

bonniebakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #83 of 205

so far we've gotten a few good ideas for future themes... keep 'em coming!

Remember, the first person who posts each month gets to choose the following months theme - so if you're itching to do a particular theme get it might be a race to see who's first to post next month! icon_biggrin.gif

EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #84 of 205

Here's my pineapple pie mini-tart....not a cut out...but maybe it'll help with your visual bonniebakes !!!
LL

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #85 of 205

OMG that looks soooo good

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #86 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Quote:

I don't really know... it's currently only a thought in my head (and not one I've tried to see if it will work). But those little tins are only about an inch deep, so I guess you could make the cookie part more of a "crust' and have a lot of filling or make the cookie dough thicker than normal. Now I'm excited to try it, but I'm working on my "spring" cookies, so it will have to wait!

Autumn Carpenter has a whole booklet about making cookie containers (which she fills with such things as mini-cookies!). Since it works for deeper pans, I think your idea with the tins should work perfectly!

KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #87 of 205

Gemini I have that book, I made heart boxes at Valentine's day filled with various candies ..they were a huge hit........only problem is I was so swamped with orders that I sent them all out and didn't take ONE single photo!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:33am
post #88 of 205

I have that booklet - I just got it recently. She has some really great ideas!

EvMarie Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:09am
post #89 of 205

I just googled Autumn Carpenter...holy sha-moly! Sooo neat. A bunch of ideas and tools. Thanks for mentioning it!

Although, I didn't find a book that talked about cookie containers specifically. Is it inside one of the other books?

bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #90 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

I just googled Autumn Carpenter...holy sha-moly! Sooo neat. A bunch of ideas and tools. Thanks for mentioning it!

Although, I didn't find a book that talked about cookie containers specifically. Is it inside one of the other books?

I think it's in the "3-D cookie projects" book....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%