Checks...to Accept Or Not To Accept?

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 1:48am by Kitagrl

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #1 of 18

I'm soooo tired of trying to track people down with bad checks. I just don't have time for this. I'm not accepting personal checks any more. My latest comes from a lady who claims that her wallet was stolen so they stopped all checks and debit card transactions on her account. Well, I do indeed get her check back in the mail, but it's stamped insufficient funds. Now I'm thinking, if they stopped all transactions, it wouldn't be stamped insufficient funds would it? Now,it's been 2 weeks and I can't get her to bring the money. Soooo, I need advice... would it be bad business to not accept checks?[/url]

17 replies
LKing12 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 18

The only way that I would accept a check the day of delivery/pick-up at a store front would be to have an electronic account. That way the monies are taken directly from the customer's account and placed in yours. There is a small fee for this service, so a minimum purchase would be required, and it sure beats showing up at their door step to collect!
If is a significant amount, you can go to your local district attorney's office and file for recovery of the funds.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:03am
post #3 of 18

Thanks for the info... going to have to check into that.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:13am
post #4 of 18

If her wallet was stolen and someone used her bank account, then the legit transactions that went through after the bad ones would come back insufficient funds. That happened to me...someone stole my account information and emptied the account. I had written a check two days before that and it was returned for insufficient funds. I don't have checks for any of my accounts anymore...all it took for someone to get my info was me writing a check and someone dishonest copying it and then printing checks on their computer.

There are ATMs everwhere, so there's really no need for you to accept personal checks. Or if you are going to still accept checks, make them pay far enough in advance for the check to clear before they get the cake.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 18

I've had a check come back and from them on I said no way. It is annoying and a hassle to get your money PLUS the fee you are charged for it. People should plan ahead and as Texas Rose said, it is easy to get cash now a days.

I would just make sure that you make your policy well know, either posting on your website or in the contract so they can't show up on the day of pick up with a check.

I have accepted one check for a wedding cake that was out of town. I told her I needed it two weeks in advance, so that it would have time to clear the bank before I started on the cake.

There is a local clothing store here that does not accept personal checks and they still get business so I wouldn't worry about losing customers.

Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 18

I have been in business for almost 5 years now, and have not once (knock on wood!) been given a bad check. My policy is cake is paid in full 30 days out - maybe that has something to do with it? My DH is a police chief too, but I don't advertise that for my business!

KarmaStew Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 18

Cash and credit cards.

ayerim979 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 18

I vote for NO CHECKS !!!!

DebBTX Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 18

In our area, I have noticed more and more restaurants have posted signs letting people know that they will no longer accept checks. They must be having problems, or trying to avoid them.

-Debbie B.

cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 18

Absolutely NO CHECKS, not for deposit, not for payment, and everything paid in full 2 weeks prior to event. I only accept cash, or creditcards through paypal.

KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 18

I accept checks, they must clear by the cut off date (3 weeks before date for weddings) and if they're returned for ANY reason there is a minimum $100.00 fee applie and once you bounce a check all orders must be paid in full in cash!

Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 18

I think checks are going to be a thing of the past here soon. I also accept credit cards, debit cards, paypal and cash. It seems that the ones that usually pay with a check are the brides parents. (an older generation ??) It is not often that a younger person uses checks.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I think checks are going to be a thing of the past here soon. I also accept credit cards, debit cards, paypal and cash. It seems that the ones that usually pay with a check are the brides parents. (an older generation ??) It is not often that a younger person uses checks.

Yep, I agree. The older generations prefer checks, but the newer ones are use to debit cards.

My parents refuse to have a debit card and my mom still usings checks for everything. Me on the other hand use mostly cash or my debit card.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the advice guys... I've had 2 bad checks in the last 3 months. Getting tired of having to hunt people down to get the money.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #15 of 18

I won't accept checks or credit cards for cake because it's a consumable item that can't be re-sold/used, even if it is returned intact.

I guess I've watched too much Judge Judy, but I've seen too many people get a cake, take photos, serve it, and then stop payment on a check or reverse a charge on a credit card.

Why bother with ever having to worry about it? Cash only policies solve those issues.

JMHO
Rae

Mrs-A Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

cheques down here are almost unheard of, businesses have them but individuals having a personal cheque account is very rare and it can take up to 10 days to clear a cheque so EFT'ing payments or credit/debit cards is the norm for us

Donnabugg Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:31am
post #17 of 18

Hey Kelli,
Have you tried taking the checks back to the bank to see if they're good? You may try taking them (sometimes you can call) to the bank on a Friday when most peoples direct deposit hits their account. It's a hassle I know. icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:48am
post #18 of 18

I accept checks for deposits because I have time to find out if they are good or not. I encourage Paypal though for deposits.

For final payment I have begun to just let them know they can pay in cash or pay ahead of time with Paypal. (For pickup orders....for deliveries, they pay almost 2 weeks ahead anyway.)

I do accept checks mostly from faithful customers who I trust.

If I receive a check I'm worried about, I just go to their bank and cash it, so they can worry about the insufficient funds themselves. Just don't accept a check that doesn't have a local bank.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%