Shamelessly Asking For A Pat On The Back.

Decorating By kathik Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:47am by JGMB

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 16

I rarely do this, so please forgive me today. Passover ended yesterday and I posted my decorated cakes. They are very simple so I understand why they aren't getting any attention, but I want to share why I feel these simple cakes are something to be proud of doing.

There are a lot of rules about ingredients for Passover. Everything must have a special kosher certification. The only ingredients I had to make the fondant were marshmallow creme (similar to fluff), Passover confectioner's sugar, oil instead of shortening, and four liquid food colorings: red, yellow, green and blue food coloring. I could have tried Passover marshmallows, but I don't have a Passover microwave, and wasn't sure if it would work over a double boiler.

Anyway, these are my two Passover decorated cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1636086.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1636095.html

Thanks for looking,
Kathi

15 replies
katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:52am
post #2 of 16

Wow, i cant belive you made them with such limited ingrediants. you should be so proud!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #3 of 16

I haven't been on in a few days (working on my masters in special ed.) and this was the first forum post I came across. Well, I'm Christian, and I couldn't imagine having to do cakes during Passover. Your cake and cupcake are absolutly lovely. The cherry blossom cake is so smooth and nice looking, GREAT WORK!!!! I'm sorry you didn't get very many responses, but you know what, I wonder how many of us out there would love to suit up for a Passover Chaallenge like that. I'm sure not to many would, go ahead, PAT PAT PAT PAT!!!!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 16

You should get a pat on the back...........wow thats quite an accomplishment with such linits, I could never have pulled that off....great job

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 16

Very nice work!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 16

Consider your back pat. You did a wonderful job, and I was so happy to read the birthday girl was so happy to have her first "pretty" cake. Good for you. You had tough obstacles to overcome, and you succeeded.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 16

That is one of the nicest things a person could do for a little girl, that will always be very special to her! You did a great job! Sending you a HUGE pat on the back. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #8 of 16

Very pretty. I would have never known that you had to work with altered receipes because you did an awesome job! I know that it was a difficult task but you really pulled it off. The server was SOOOO slow yesterday and last night that your photo's probably weren't even seen by many. I posted a very pretty little pink and yellow cake yesterday and it never even showed up on the home page...lol...I thought it was probably one of my best cakes so I was a little disappointed myself. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
But I agree that you deserve a huge pat on the back. Pat..Pat...Pat..I'm very impressed with what you accomplished with such limited ingredients.

kathik Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #9 of 16

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. I know so many cakes get posted that it's hard to look at, much less comment on all the ones we like. I've been trying to do better at giving feedback myself. I knew these were fairly simple and might not get any attention, but I wanted my cake friends to share my accomplishment with me!

Thank you so much everyone!
Kathi

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #10 of 16

You have to have a separate kitchen for PASSOVER???? You can't just use your regular Kosher kitchen??? WOW!!!!

VERY nice cakes. Patted indeed.

kathik Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

You have to have a separate kitchen for PASSOVER????

mommyle, only in my dreams!!icon_rolleyes.gif My only Passover tools this year were a hand mixer, pans, small fondant rolling pin, and a couple of cutters. Next year I WILL have a stand mixer!!!!

Thank you for the compliments!
Kathi

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:17am
post #12 of 16

On my end, the server was kaput. I was having withdrawals. It was hours and hours before it would load.

Very nice job on the cake and cupcake!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:55am
post #13 of 16

Kathi, I am amazed at your resourcefulness in finding ways to use the limited ingredients that you can use for Pesach. I know I find it hard enough, just making things that taste really good, without worrying about making them pretty. My friend and her daughter have birthdays in April, so usually one or the other is doing the matzah cake thing for their birthday. (Which beats what their dad gets to do every several years--fasting on his birthday.)

I bought the marshmallow cream, thinking I would surprise my friend's daughter with a fondant cake for her birthday, but ran out of time to experiment. It ended up being used to make a divinity-like sweet.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:28am
post #14 of 16

Well done, KathiK! Being Christian and able to use my full arsenal of ingredients and cake toys at any time still leaves me lacking in the resourcefulness arena icon_biggrin.gif You did a great job! I've visited your site and your goodies look scrumptious! Several pats and a great big hug from here icon_lol.gif

kathik Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you again. I knew you guys would understand! Yes, sometimes keeping kosher rules is an adventure, especially on Passover!

redpanda, one of my close friends has a birthday on a fast day. Each year she and her husband get up an hour before the fast starts to have something to eat, including her birthday cake!

Kathi[/list]

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #16 of 16

Pat, pat, pat!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%