Need Help For A Design Idea Please

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 11:15pm by casme

ajmccray Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so a friend I called me to see if I could make a cake for her dad's 82nd brithday this weekend. Sure, no problem. She says a sheet cake to feed 40, sure no problem. Any colors? "Um, just spring colors". Does he like anything in particular? "No, he just farms. You can just put some balloons on it and that'll be fine. Oh, he is excited the sun has come back out".

Clearly, I'm really wanting to do something a little more than a few balloons on this sheetcake for an 82 year old man. But I can't come up with anything. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

Angela

8 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 9

I'm not much help... but don't you hate it when you have to PULL things out of people... they call to order a cake and expect you to just " know" what they want! I had a call the other day, the lady wants to order a cake for her friend, doesn't know what she wants. So I start asking questions, does she like to shop, does she like shoes, does she like flowers, does she garden..... and nothing......can't get anything out of this lady! Makes me want to scream and say when you figure out what you want call me back!

But if he likes to farm, maybe you could do the cake to look like a field, with a fence around the cake, and some farm animals?

cmgary Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 9

Since he farms then maybe you could add some tractors or farm tools from molds or if he likes the sunshine that you could make a garden be it flower or vegetable using molds that have pots, trowels, hoses, gloves, etc. One last idea you could also find a mold that says #1 DAD, Best Dad, Father of the Year etc. Just some suggestions. I hope this works.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #4 of 9

This was for a girl....but here is my fence and animals......yeah, the specs for this cake was it HAD to be pink, and it HAD to have a big chicken in the middle.....sometimes you just don't ask questions LOL
LL

ajmccray Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the ideas. I had thought about a farm theme. Except that she requested white icing so that rules out the farm scene. I guess I'm just trying to find a simple decoration that is more appropriate for an 82 year old man than balloons. Sometimes I think these "simple sheet cake"s are harder than the 3 tier cake for a 1 year old!! Thanks again for your ideas!!

Angela

casme Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 9

I just made one for a 75 year old. I made SEVERAL cutout 75s in different colors of gumpaste. Then I put contrasting dots on one , stripes on one, stars on one etc. Then I made several corresponding candles and flames, also out of gumpaste. All of these were standing up on the cake with toothpicks. It was very festive. I also made a goat with a toolbelt hanging out of his mouth because the man was a Mr. fixit. They were thrilled with the cake.

KHalstead Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 9

here is a farm cake I made for a guy that was older......it was white icing as well, I just airbrushed it. Did she want "vanilla" icing or specifically "white" icing?

The fence was pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate and the haystacks were cupcakes and the cows were made of candy melts on lollipop sticks (just did a chocolate transfer and attached to sticks once dry)
LL

ajmccray Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

KHalstead--Unfortunately she said white icing. I'm sure she has grocery store cake in her mind, which is where the balloons came in.

Casme--I'd love to see a pic of that cake, sounds very festive!

Angela

casme Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

I am computer illiterate so if you can tell me how to download and post a picture I will try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%