Stacking Cakes And Basic Questions

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 2:28am by prterrell

aprilblack Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 2

ok, I know this are silly questions, but for stacking a three layer cake, say 8, 6 and 4 inches do I keep all layers on cardboard circles when assembling the cakes? If so, do I use the stabilizer straws for support under the bottom layers and then one large dowel going through all layers through the cardboard?

Also, do I need to let my cake layers completely cool prior to icing them or putting on my crumb coat or will it matter? Thanks so much in advance!! April

1 reply
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

ok, I know this are silly questions, but for stacking a three layer cake, say 8, 6 and 4 inches do I keep all layers on cardboard circles when assembling the cakes?

First, what you are describing is a 3 tier cake, not a three layer cake.

Each tier must be on a cake circle, being cardboard or plastic.

Quote:

If so, do I use the stabilizer straws for support under the bottom layers and then one large dowel going through all layers through the cardboard?

Each tier that has a tier sitting atop it must have dowels inside to support the upper tier. The long center dowel is added for additional stability and is especially important if you will be moving the cake once it is assembled.

Quote:

Also, do I need to let my cake layers completely cool prior to icing them or putting on my crumb coat or will it matter?

Yes, cakes must be completely cool before icing or crumb-coating, otherwise the heat from the cake will melt the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%