What Went Wrong?! Mmf

Baking By Mamatoboys Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm by L_Collins

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 15

I made MMF for the first time last night. I let it sit overniht and went to roll it out this morning and it kept tearing and ripping. It wasn't sticking to the counter, but everytime I tried to move it to the cake, it tore. What went wrong?! I ended up going to the store and buying that nasty Wilton stuff, but I used some of the MMF on the cake for accent decorations and it tasted great..I want to make it again-but th righ way. I used the simple MMF receipe with marshmallows, water and powdered sugar.

14 replies
RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 15

It sounds like it might be too dry... maybe try adding less PS in the beginning. I always err on the side of maybe too little PS in my MMF and then I kneed in PS until I get the right consistency. So far I have never had a problem with tearing. Good Luck!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 15

Sounds like there was too much powdered sugar so it was too dry. I seldom add all the powdered sugar...I only add enough so that it is soft and pliable; not stuff and dry. You can always add more as you knead it.Hope that helps.

Mamatoboys Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 15

Thanks, I'll try that next time!

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 15

If it gets dry again, form mmf into a ball & zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds. I just had a batch I made today get all dry & funky on me. I think it was my weather here ... very rainy =\\ nuking it will make it workable again. HTH.

anglbear1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anglbear1 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #6 of 15

I had the same thing happen to me when I first made MMF. The trick is to use it within 2-4 hours after making it. It gets so hard and dry overnight and it's very difficult to soften it in the microwave perfectly. Also, when you go to roll it out make sure you don't try to knead it or anything or it may start to break apart too. You just simply roll it out and cover the cake. Hope this helps!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:11am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoboys

I made MMF for the first time last night. I let it sit overniht and went to roll it out this morning and it kept tearing and ripping. It wasn't sticking to the counter, but everytime I tried to move it to the cake, it tore. What went wrong?! I ended up going to the store and buying that nasty Wilton stuff, but I used some of the MMF on the cake for accent decorations and it tasted great..I want to make it again-but th righ way. I used the simple MMF receipe with marshmallows, water and powdered sugar.

I noticed that you didn't write "shortening" in your recipe.Did you just use water,mm,and sugar??

Ayanami Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 15

I was able to keep a batch of MMF for a whole week recently. I made the most fabulous batch and used what I needed. Then I formed it into a ball & stored it in an empty shortening container. I think the film of shortening inside the container had something to do with it. I "burped" the lid to release extra air too. I was really amazed at how it was still absolutely fabulous a week later when I made another fondant cake. Of course the new batch I made today was so far from fabulous ... maybe that's how the universe keeps balance?! LOL =}

Ayanami Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #9 of 15

1 - 16oz bag mini marshmallows
2 - Tbsp water
Microwave until gooey (45 sec?)
2 - lbs SIFTED! Powder sugar

Shortening for the work surface & for your hands

That's the recipe I've used for 2 years

Mamatoboys Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #10 of 15

I noticed that you didn't write "shortening" in your recipe.Did you just use water,mm,and sugar??

I did use shortening..smeared all over the rolling surface and my hands. I tried adding it while kneading to stop it from cracking. Didn't work for the fondant, but my hands a silky soft now! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #11 of 15

If you knead some of your MMF with the Wilton (1/3 MMF + 2/3 Wilton), you'll get a product that works well and tastes good.

HTH
Rae

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 15

I add 1 Tbsp of corn syrup to my marshmallow fondant. It makes it a little more stretchy.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 15

I use MMF all the time. I have kept in in zip lock bags for a month I put it in the fridge then take it out a little while before I want to use it. I have never had a problem but maybe this is because I don't cover cakes with it I am not sure if that makes a difference. But for decorations it is fabulous I also don't kneed in all the icing sugar right away I add as needed. I recently made a batch with a bit of almond extract and vanilla it tasted awesome!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 15

I've kept my mmf fresh for months. Coat with Crisco and wrap in plastic wrap and keep it in the pantry (or freezer) I just do this for fun, so I keep my scraps for the next cake, whenever that may be. But left-overs are just used for accent pieces.

It sounds like you used too much powde red sugar. I never use whe whole amount, and I also add either glycerine or corn syrup too. It helps.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 15

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

This is the recipe I found when I first started doing fondant. I love it. I've found as I use it more that I can tweek it according to temperature, humidity, etc. It's a great recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%