Shimmer On Fondant??

Decorating By anastasien Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 1:47am by Nacnacweazel

anastasien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anastasien Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering if someone could please help me, I am making a 2 tier round cake and covering it in light purple fondant and I was wondering how can I get the fondant to shimmer, I am also putting white and purple roses on the top and I would also like them to be shimmery. Any help would be great.
Thanks

10 replies
Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 11

You can just brush it with a little luster dust. Or, if you have an airbrush, you can spray it with an airbrush shimmer. I did a cake with the air brush shimmer. Worked out pretty well.

Nacnacweazel Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

This is the cake with the shimmer.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1620535.html

anastasien Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 11

The cake you did is beautiful!! Could you tell me, if I am going to do a 2 tier or 3 tier what should I do for support?? I am very new to cake making and need all the help I can get

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 11

There are some that swear by the SPS system, other who use bubble straws, and others still who use wooden or plastic dowels.

The square wedding cake in my pictures was assembled prior to delivery using wooden dowels. I didn't have any problems with it, I just made sure I drove funeral-procession slow the entire time icon_wink.gif

anastasien Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 11

Do I have to put anything on the bottom of my cake layers if I use dowels or bubble straws, do I have to use a small board as well in between the layers? Sorry for all the questions

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasien

Do I have to put anything on the bottom of my cake layers if I use dowels or bubble straws, do I have to use a small board as well in between the layers? Sorry for all the questions

Yep, you still have to use a cake board underneath.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:20am
post #8 of 11

If you don't have an airbrusher you can use PME Edible Lustre Spray it's works well and is only around $11icon_smile.gif

Nacnacweazel Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #9 of 11

I've only used wooden dowels, so far, and they have worked just fine. Of course, I haven't done any stacked cakes with more than three tiers...yet. I'm doing a stacked cake for a baby shower this weekend that is going to be stacked five tiers high, but all of the cakes are only 4X4X4 inches...so, I don't think there is going to be a huge weight issue. I'm assembling it at the venue. Just make sure that your dowels are straight and even. You should be fine. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #10 of 11

How in the world did you get purple fondant????? I have been looking everywhere! Everytime I try I get grey icon_mad.gif

Nacnacweazel Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #11 of 11

LOL. The fondant was actually white, and I airbrushed the entire thing with Lucks brand "Lavender Shimmer." However, that was before I knew that Satin Ice makes purple fondant. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh well, live and learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%