Help!!! I Have Been Given This Picture To Do A Wedding Cake

Decorating By tamiscakes Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm by alvarezmom

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 16

can someone help !!! what is this on this cake and how do i do it.?????
LL

15 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 16

Looks like shaved chocolate to me. Look on youtube for chocolate curls and you might find a video

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 16

I agree, it looks like chocolate curls.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 16

1 - melt chocolate
2 - pour all over marble slab (or best you can do)
3 - spread it nice and thin
4 - let it set
5 - scrape up with bench scraper.

I know, it sounds easy. But doing it is totally another thing!!!! Good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 16

For making that many, I would invest in one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QKBJTE/?tag=cakecentral-20

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 16

Norm Davis had a chocolate curler on his website http://www.thesweetlife.com/frames.htm

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 16

Yep - I agree. Those are really big white chocolate curls. Pretty cake!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 16

I think I've seen someone on TV or net do as above poster said, and pour chocolate out and then they used a large spoon to make the curls.

Norm's curler looks great and it's only $20!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 16

I checked out his page and found the chocolate curler. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 16

Is it just me or does the curler look like a cut round cookie cutter with a pice of wood or MDF glued to the middle of it? I remember one show-UCO I think-where I believe he said that Zane made the curler. It is hard to see on my computer, but that's kind of what it looks like to me. If that's the case, sorry Norm-love you lots- really I do- but I'd just as soon make my own. What do you all think?

ericaspastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaspastries Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:29am
post #11 of 16

Just wondering Tami if you found a solution to make your cake? Did you come up with a way to make the chocolate curls?

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:55am
post #12 of 16

I agree white chocolate curls. Beautiful cake.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #13 of 16

I think that's probably right too - chocolate curls. But how funny, because just tonight I was working on a cake for a friend - she wanted white chocolate curls on the outside - nothing fancy though - just a regular 8" bday cake. I spent three days trying to make chocolate curls. I wanted to cry. Only about 1/4 of them actually turned ok enough to put on the cake, and I still think they look terrible! You have to have the temperature of the chocolate just exactly right to make curls. I will never do it again! And if it gets too warm, it gets out of temper, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to temper chocolate!

Maybe you could use candy clay? Like tootsie roll stuff - easier to work with.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:39am
post #14 of 16

You can use the candy melts from wilton or other companies. Melt them and then pour into a mold that is sort of a "brick shape". I use the plastic that the individual sticks of Crisco come in. They are a good size to handle. Fill that up to the top with the melted chocolate. Let set up. Could take maybe a couple of hours. DO NOT REFRIGERATE!! You only want room temp chocolate. And sometimes even that is too hard.

One other thing that will help is before you put the chocolate in the mold, add a good tablespoon of crisco to it while the chocolate is still hot. Stir it real good to get the crisco mixed in real well. Sometimes I put the crisco in the bowl with the chocolate when I put it in the microwave. This will keep the chocolate in a softer state so you can curl it. Then pour into the mold and let it firm up. Take the chocolate out of the mold and holding it in your hand, (maybe using a paper towel to hold on to it, if you have really warm hands), You can use a knife or a vegetable peeler to scrape against the chocolate, and it should curl up as you are scraping it.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeckieAnne

I think that's probably right too - chocolate curls. But how funny, because just tonight I was working on a cake for a friend - she wanted white chocolate curls on the outside - nothing fancy though - just a regular 8" bday cake. I spent three days trying to make chocolate curls. I wanted to cry. Only about 1/4 of them actually turned ok enough to put on the cake, and I still think they look terrible! You have to have the temperature of the chocolate just exactly right to make curls. I will never do it again! And if it gets too warm, it gets out of temper, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to temper chocolate!

Maybe you could use candy clay? Like tootsie roll stuff - easier to work with.

The last time I did a cake with chocolate curls, all I kept getting was chocolate shavings or dust. Then I read something somewhere that saved me! Can't remember where I found it or what it said exactly lol... I used a block of chocolate, warmed it up for a few seconds in the microwave (just until it is very slightly warm, not melting at all) and just used a veggie peeler to shave off the curls. Worked like a charm!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 16

It does look like shaved icing...almost like doing a chocolate transfer and then they jusyt cut it up to look like sqaures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%